[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----TEXAS, N.C., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Aug 5 13:18:53 CDT 2015

Aug. 5

TEXAS:

Capital murder charge dropped in 2012 death of Hearne city councilman

A contaminated crime scene and lack of evidence prompted Robertson County's top
prosecutor to drop capital murder charges Tuesday against a man accused of
killing former Hearne City Councilman Charles Workman almost 3 years ago.

Kevin Aundrell Godfrey, 21, pleaded guilty to arson in the torching of the dead
councilman's Jaguar. Godfrey, who never before had been convicted of a felony,
was sentenced to 15 years behind bars and waived any appeal.

District Attorney Coty Siegert said he made the decision to drop the case after
looking at all the evidence and talking to Workman's family.

He said the crime scene was contaminated after 25 to 30 people walked through
it before police were called, the murder weapon was never found and there
wasn't direct DNA evidence tying Godfrey to the crime. Someone even went
through his pockets to find his phone before officers arrived at the scene in
September 2012.

"There also was a high chance that the state could not carry its burden of
proving at trial murder beyond a reasonable doubt," Siegert said of the case in
which, if convicted, Godfrey would have faced life in prison or the death
penalty. "While there was strong evidence of his involvement, being in
possession of a stolen vehicle does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that
Kevin Godfrey committed murder."

Godfrey was indicted after authorities said there was enough evidence linking
him to Workman's death. Workman, 63, was shot in the face and torso 6 times and
his home was burglarized, according to a copy of the indictment.

The night before Workman's body was discovered, firefighters responded to a car
fire north of Texas 6 at Old San Antonio Road, where Godfrey was spotted asking
firefighters for a ride, according to Godfrey's arrest report.

The vehicle was later determined to be Workman's white 2000 Jaguar containing
some of his belongings, including clothing, compact discs and paperwork,
according to the court document.

Godfrey was found in College Station after investigators linked him to the
burning vehicle through witnesses and security footage from the Get-N-Go
convenience store at Texas 6 and Harvey Mitchell Parkway.

He also was charged at the time with arson, which is a 2nd-degree felony
carrying a punishment of up to 20 years in prison. That's the crime he pleaded
guilty to Tuesday rather than face the capital case.

David Barron, who represented Godfrey along with Phil Banks and Amy Banks, said
not only does he believe his client wasn't involved in the shooting, but
Workman's family also doesn't think Godfrey was responsible.

"There were several other suspects, but once police linked Mr. Godfrey to the
stolen car, the case was closed to them," Barron said.

Phil Banks said Godfrey likely will be eligible for parole consideration within
a few years since he's already served three years behind bars, which counts
toward his 15-year sentence.

Siegert said Godfrey's DNA was found on a cigarette at Workman's house, but
that wouldn't have been out of the ordinary since he was friends with Godfrey's
nephew, and the pair sometimes stayed with Workman. The nephew found Workman
dead after entering the house through an open window because the doors were
locked, according to authorities. The prosecutor said that's likely the same
way the killer gained access to the house.

"If any new evidence is brought forth, we can pursue that," said Siegert, who
was elected to office several months after the slaying.

"The facts of this case demonstrate why it is so important to contact law
enforcement immediately to allow them to preserve all evidence without
contamination," he said, adding that since taking office he's been taking steps
with law enforcement to work better as a team. "It is my goal that we all do
our sworn duties to the best of our abilities not just to convict but to see
that justice is done."

(source: The Eagle)

NORTH CAROLINA:

North Carolina kickstarts its machinery of death

When he finally died, Dennis McGuire had gasped, choked, writhed against his
restraints and clenched his fists for more than 20 minutes.

"I saw a man murdered," says Father Lawrence Hummer, a pastor who witnessed
McGuire's death by lethal injection last January in Ohio. "It was just
ghastly."

McGuire's gruesomely lengthy execution - it was supposed to take about 5
minutes - was performed with the untested combination of the sedative midazolam
and the painkiller hydromorphone.

The victim's family members say McGuire, convicted of raping and murdering a
pregnant woman in 1989, got what was coming to him. Regardless, his death was 1
of at least 3 lengthy, torturous executions in the U.S. last year, the result
of states' desperate experimentation to find reliable lethal injection drugs
from a shrinking supply of willing drug providers.

There are 148 prisoners on death row in Central Prison in Raleigh, and it's
unclear which inmate will be the guinea pig when executions restart in this
state. Although pentobarbital has been North Carolina's execution drug of
choice, a bill headed to the governor's desk will make secret the drug's
source.

House Bill 774 - the "Restoring Proper Justice Act," passed last week by the
House and Senate, but as of press time not yet signed by Gov. Pat McCrory -
prevents the public from knowing the identity of the providers of the execution
drugs. And the state execution practices will have minimal oversight - and none
by the federal government - according to the bill's primary sponsor, Leo
Daughtry, R-Johnston.

"It's the kind of thing you'd expect in some authoritarian regime in the 1980s
in the Southern hemisphere," says Stephen Dear, the outgoing executive director
of People of Faith Against the Death Penalty.

How and where North Carolina will obtain its drugs is a mystery. The N.C.
Department of Public Safety has failed to respond to multiple requests from the
INDY for information about its sources of pentobarbital.

The last execution in North Carolina occurred in 2006 - the state's 408th since
1910 - when convicted murderer Samuel Flippin was killed by lethal injection.
DPS spokeswoman Pam Walker says the state has no queue or schedule for future
executions.

Daughtry says his goal is to speedily resume executions in North Carolina and
protect drug providers from hostile public demonstrations. "It's the law, but
we don't have capital punishment in this state right now," he says. "It's been
frustrating."

It's unclear whether Daughtry's legislation will restart executions. Many
experts say the bill will only provoke legal challenges that could slow
executions further.

"I heard Democrats say they would vote for this, if only because it's so
illegal and unconstitutional, it will be litigated forever," says state Rep.
Verla Insko, D-Orange, a death penalty opponent. She voted against the bill
last week.

A drug company's complaints shouldn't trump the public's access to information,
she says. "Demonstrations are part of the American way. It's a sacred right in
our democracy to protest what we don't like."

GOP lawmakers have amended the state's execution protocols before, exempting
the execution protocol from review by the Council of State, a group of 10
elected officials who oversee state agencies. Critics of Daughtry's bill say
the latest revision is even worse.

"In my 18 years of working on the death penalty, I have never seen legislation
anywhere in the U.S. as reckless as this," says Dear. "Nothing exemplifies why
government should not be allowed to kill more than this bill."

David Weiss, attorney for the Durham-based Center for Death Penalty Litigation,
says the secrecy does not inspire public confidence. "One of the key mechanisms
for holding government actors accountable is through elections or transparency.
There is no requirement here that they let anybody know what they do, or that
they consult with anyone with any expertise in developing the protocol."

Some critics have questioned whether the legislation would allow state
officials to hide the names of the execution drugs from public disclosure, but
Daughtry insists the name and cost of the drug will remain public, but not the
source.

The shortage of homegrown execution drugs is because international drug
manufacturers, under public pressure, have quit selling the U.S. drugs such as
pentobarbital for use in lethal injections.

"The drug companies are so afraid of being boycotted," Daughtry says. "They'd
rather not have their names known. It's important that drug companies have some
understanding."

As a result, when the Danish producer of pentobarbital - hailed as one of the
most "humane" drugs available for lethal injection - halted distribution of the
drug for executions in 2011, states turned to compounding pharmacies, smaller,
state-regulated outfits exempt from federal Food and Drug Administration rules.
Lawyers and administrators, rather than doctors, were deployed to find the best
lethal cocktail. (HB 774 also removes a requirement that doctors oversee
executions. Now, any medical professional will suffice.)

In 2011, the DEA raided prisons in South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama
and Georgia for importing execution drugs from poorly regulated drug providers
around the world.

Considering the botched executions of several inmates, Weiss says it's vital
that the public knows if the state buys its drugs from a poorly regulated
company or from a manufacturer with regulatory violations.

"It doesn't seem like now is the time to roll back the transparency of the
process. If anything, we should be shining more light on it," he says.

"The state simply does not want to admit that they're killing somebody and they
don't want to indicate how they're killing somebody," adds Hummer, the Ohio
pastor who has worked with death row prisoners in his state since 2012. "They
want to protect everybody involved with it. Let's stop killing people and then
we don't have to protect anybody."

(source: indyweek.com)

*******************

Contractor Accused of Murdering Pregnant Food Network Star and Her Husband
Could Face the Death Penalty

Robert Jason Owens, the man charged with murdering Food Network star Cristie
Schoen Codd, her husband, J.T. Codd, and their unborn child, could face the
death penalty if convicted.

On Monday, the Buncombe County District Attorney filed a notice of intent to
seek the death penalty for Owens in the 3 murders, CBS News reports. He is
charged with 2 counts of felony 1st-degree murder, felony murder of an unborn
child, breaking and entering and larceny.

Cristie and J.T. were first reported missing from their Leicester, North
Carolina, home on March 14 after concerned family members couldn't get in touch
with them. Their dismembered remains were discovered inside a wood stove on
Owens' property just days later.

Owens was a down-on-his-luck contractor whom the couple had hired to work on
their home. He lived just a mile down the road and had become friendly with the
pair, even attending their wedding.

However, friends of the couple say they couldn't help but notice that there was
something "weird" about the handyman when they met him.

"There was a gut feeling when I looked at this guy, and I avoided him," Michael
Mendez told PEOPLE in March. "This was one person I definitely did not want to
meet."

And Mendez wasn't surprised when Owens was first named a suspect in his
friends' murders. "The moment I saw him," he said, "I just got the chills."

Owens is also suspected in the disappearance of 18-year-old Zebb Quinn, who
vanished in January 2000.

(source: People.com)

USA:

New Resources: Capital Punishment and the State of Criminal Justice 2015

The American Bar Association has released a new publication, The State of
Criminal Justice 2015, examining major issues, trends, and significant changes
in America's criminal justice system. The chapter devoted to capital punishment
was written by Ronald Tabak, an attorney at Skadden Arps and board member of
the Death Penalty Information Center. Tabak presents evidence of the declining
use of the death penalty in death sentences and executions, particularly noting
the growing geographic isolation of the death penalty. He includes recent
developments, such as the moratorium on executions in Pennsylvania and ongoing
controversy and secrecy surrounding methods of execution. He also highlights
numerous studies and cases regarding innocence and racial bias. He concludes,
"[I]t is vital that the legal profession and the public be better informed
about what is really going on in the capital punishment system. ... Ultimately,
our society must decide whether to continue with a system that cannot survive
any serious cost/benefit analysis."

(source: DPIC)