Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Apr 17 10:33:02 CDT 2015

April 17

SOMALILAND:

"Laws of this Country are Sanctioned by Citizens" Ministry of Justice

It is the prerogative of a sovereign state to develop its justice system within
its prescribed authority as sanctioned by the will of its people.

Reads a statement from the Ministry of Justice-MoJ while stressing that
adherence to and implementation of the country's laws is a function of the
Government of the Republic of Somaliland as mandated by the same citizenry that
develops them.

Though couched in soft the MoJ statement is in obvious reference to
condemnations directed towards the administration of President Ahmed Mahmud
Silanyo by the European Union, after the state executed 6 convicted murderers
sentenced to death by various courts in the country.

Last Week 6 convicts all sentenced to death after being found guilty of
committing murder in various parts of the country were executed at the Mandera
maximum security prison following acquiesce between families of the 6 convicts
and those of their victims. The executions received much public acclaim
throughout Somaliland.

The EU in its statement stated in part "The Heads of Mission of the European
Union and Member States condemn in the strongest terms the carrying-out of 6
death sentences by the Somaliland authorities at the Mandera maximum-security
complex after a long de facto moratorium".

But according to the MoJ Somaliland has never formally abolished nor suspended
the death penalty within its territory thus negating the EU purported
Moratorium which is a misconception resulting from the fact that death
sentences have not been carried out in the past 9 years.

Without considering the wishes of Somaliland citizens who support the
government's implantation of death sentences imposed by courts of law nor the
law pertinent to the act, the EU condemnation went on to state "The EU Heads of
Mission strongly and unequivocally oppose the death penalty and consider that
the death penalty constitutes a serious violation of human rights and human
dignity".

In an apparently literal attempt to camouflage citizens anger and irritation
with the EU resulting from the vehement criticism of the executions more so the
line reading "The EU Heads of Mission deplore this grave backlash after 9 years
of suspended executions and urge Somaliland authorities to rethink its decision
to leave the progressive path followed so far" the MoJ went on to state that
"The Republic of Somaliland respects its obligations as a member of the
international community and adheres to the human rights and dignity of its
people as enshrined in the Constitution and its laws.

of Mission call upon the Somaliland authorities to immediately halt the
execution of death sentences as a first step towards adopting appropriate
legislation, which aims at the abolition of the death penalty. The EU Heads of
Mission look forward to working with the Somaliland authorities in achieving
this" the MoJ said.

The Government of the Republic of Somaliland is grateful to the European Union
and its member states for their continued support and conveys assurances of its
highest consideration.

The whole morning (16th March) the Somaliland minister of Justice Hussein Ahmed
Aideed was in closed doors meeting at his offices with a number of expatriates
operating in the country suspected to be from the EU mission in Hargiesa.

(source: Somaliland Press)

IRAN----executions

8 Prisoners Hanged in Rajai Shahr Prison

8 prisoners were executed in Rajai Shahr prison in Karaj.

According to the report of Human Rights Activists News Agency in Iran (HRANA),
most of these prisoners were sentenced to death with drug-related crimes and
were taken to solitary confinements in ward 5 in Rajai Shahr prison, last
Saturday. Mansoor Gholamzadeh, Reza Ghorbani, Mahmood Maleki, Ahmad Malekizadeh
and Hamid Farajloo were executed and the other three prisoners have not been
identified yet.

The brother of one of those executed, told HRANA's reporter: "My brother did
not deserve execution; unfortunately today his corpse was delivered to my
family for burial and funeral services."

About his brother's alleged relationship with drugs, he said: "My brother used
to be a street fighter and 1 time he was rotated along with several people,
(for humiliation), but he never misused drugs and he was not a drug dealer and
he was quiet, but in his 2nd trial, he was sentenced to death by the judge. He
was quite and was serving his imprisonment."

Also, HRANA has got some news, which stated that several prisoners have been
taken to solitary confinements for execution in Qezalhesar prison, but we have
no more information yet.

(source: Human Rights Activists News Agency)

PAKISTAN:

Death row prisoner Shafqat seeks judicial inquiry to determine age

Death row prisoner Shafqat Hussain has asked the Islamabad High Court for a
judicial inquiry to determine his age at the time he was sentenced to death for
kidnapping and murder.

Hearing the case on Friday, IHC judge Justice Athar Minallah issued notices to
nine respondents, including President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Nawaz
Sharif and asked them to submit their replies within 15 days.

Shafqat was arrested and sentenced in 2004 for the kidnapping and involuntary
murder of a 7-year-old boy, who lived in a Karachi apartment building where he
worked as a security guard.

Confusion over Shafqat's date of birth raised questions of whether he was a
juvenile or of lawful age in 2004 to be handed the death sentence.

Shafqat's appeals were turned down by all trial courts and the Supreme Court,
until President Mamnoon Hussain stayed his execution for 30 days on March 18 -
a day before his scheduled execution.

The 30-day stay expires on Friday.

Now, the death row prisoner has approached the IHC, asking the high court to
order a judicial inquiry to determine his age.

Lawyers representing Shafqat claim he was under 18 when he was sentenced in
2004, and legally not old enough to be given the death penalty.

The IHC has sent notices to the president, prime minister, and seven other
respondents, giving them 15 days to submit their replies.

The case has received widespread attention from local and international media,
and became a bone of contention between supporters and opponents of the death
penalty, which was resumed in Pakistan in December last year to end a 6-year
long moratorium on capital punishment.

(source: Pakistan News)

BAHAMAS:

Miller: We Are In Crisis Over Crime

Tall Pines MP Leslie Miller yesterday lashed out at the government insisting
that during the next election many of his colleagues will receive a "rude
awakening" from voters because they did not take a stand to tackle crime, which
he described as a cancer "taking out the guts" of Bahamians. The Bahamas
Electricity Corporation executive chairman, whose son was murdered in 2002,
said he could not understand why a sovereign country like The Bahamas relied on
the decisions of the Privy Council in London.

The London-based court's views on the death penalty have made it harder for
hangings to be carried out in this country.

Mr Miller said the country needs to abandon that body as the final court of
appeal as he repeated calls for the Christie administration to carry out
capital punishment.

Mr Miller was speaking during his contribution to Juries (Amendment) Bill and
the Parliamentary Elections Bill in the House of Assembly.

"We are in a serious crisis in our country," the government MP said. "Everyday
you open the newspapers some innocent life is being taken.

"The state has an obligation in my opinion to do what is necessary to combat
this evil that is among us that is taking out the guts of the Bahamian people.
Something must be done. We were elected by the people to look out for their
needs. We were elected to look out for their future (and) for their children's
future.

"I believe, Mr Speaker, that all of us, when you see those polls close at 6pm,
will have a rude awakening if we refuse to act on behalf of those persons who
gave us the privilege of coming into this Parliament on their behalf."

Mr Miller continued: "Capital punishment must be fully implemented in our
country. We cannot and we should not accept any further excuses. I don't care
about no Privy Council. They don't dictate my life.

"I am a Bahamian and if you are butchering our people, if you are killing our
people unabated and you know that your life is not going to be taken, they are
never going to stop, Mr Speaker."

He said the government must find a solution to crime that was breaking up
families and causing mothers and loved ones to cry for their children.

Up to press time, according to The Tribune's records, 41 murders have been
committed so far this year. 3 men were killed on April 7. These included
28-year-old Clayton Rufus Brown who was found stabbed to death just before 4am
at Adventurer's Way in Grand Bahama. 2 more men were also killed in New
Providence, including a man who was stabbed by his 15-year-old nephew, and a
victim who was found slumped over in the driver's seat of his car with gunshot
wounds.

Yesterday Central Grand Bahama MP Neko Grant questioned the status of several
promised government projects to tackle crime in the country. He said the
Progressive Liberal Party had placed blame on the then-governing Free National
Movement while in opposition for the crime situation, but now that they were
the governing party, it appeared that they did not have the solutions.

He said: "Now that they are governing, who is to blame? Are matters now not
coming on for trial for reasons that are not within the government's control?

"Mr Speaker, whatever became of the Project Safe Bahamas, nothing has been
spoken of it since the campaign trail. Project Safe Bahamas was hailed as a
tough, innovative, plan to fight crime and to reduce violence.

"It all sounds so good, it looks prettier on paper, but sadly the truth of the
matter is our streets have been turned into gut-wrenching murder scenes."

(source: tribune242.com)

SINGAPORE:

Killer faces gallows after final plea fails

Convicted killer Muhammad Kadar failed in his clemency plea to be spared the
gallows and is due to be executed by the prison authorities today.

His petition for a reprieve was turned down by the President last week after
due consideration and on the advice of the Cabinet.

Muhammad, 39, was 1st sentenced to death for knifing an elderly housewife more
than 110 times in 2005 in a Boon Lay Avenue flat. His appeal was rejected by
the 3-judge apex court in 2011.

But after a 2013 law change - which gave judges the discretion to impose a life
sentence and caning instead of the death penalty for certain categories of
murder - he was able to launch a fresh bid for re-sentencing to the Court of
Appeal last year.

(source: Straits Times)

SAUDI ARABIA----execution

Saudi Arabia executes 2nd Indonesian maid----Woman sentenced to death for
killing 4-year-old child

Saudi Arabia has executed a 2nd Indonesian maid despite protests from Jakarta,
which is itself facing fierce criticism for its failure to heed calls for
clemency for a number of foreigners on death row.

The Indonesian government summoned the Saudi ambassador to the foreign ministry
on Thursday after learning that 37-year-old Karni Bt. Medi Tarsim had been
beheaded, without official warning.

Karni was sentenced to death in March 2013 for killing her employer's
4-year-old child. She was the second Indonesian domestic worker executed by the
Saudis this week, following the death of Siti Zaenab Bt. Duhri Rupa on Tuesday
-- the execution again carried out with Indonesian officials receiving no prior
warning.

"That is our main issue. It's not that suddenly there was an execution. We
didn't know when it would take place. Still, we took over a hundred steps to
try to free (Siti) from execution," said Arrmanatha Nasir, spokesman for
Indonesia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Siti, 47, was convicted of killing her employer's wife in 1999, but the death
penalty was delayed until the youngest of the victim's sons reached puberty and
was old enough to consider requesting her pardon. He didn't.

Rights groups say they suspect Siti was mentally ill and cast aspersions on
claims she had confessed to the crime. Amnesty International also said reports
suggested she had been abused while working in the victim's home.

"Imposing the death penalty and executing someone with a suspected mental
illness smacks of a basic lack of humanity," said Philip Luther, Middle East
and North Africa Programme Director at Amnesty International.

Indonesian appeals for mercy

In a statement, the Indonesian government said the protection of its citizens
abroad was a "priority" and listed the attempts it had made to help Siti,
including providing legal aid, writing letters to the Saudi King and
"continuous efforts... to ask for forgiveness from the family."

Indonesia said in many cases its efforts had worked. From July 2011 to the end
of March this year, it said it had "successfully freed" 238 of its citizens
from the death penalty.

One of those was Satinah Binti Jumadi Ahmad who was sentenced to death in 2011
after reportedly admitting to killing her 70-year-old employer and stealing
$10,000. Satinah claimed she acted in self-dense. Days before her scheduled
execution, the Indonesian government stepped in with so-called "blood money" of
7 million Saudi riyals -- at the time worth about $1.8 million. Satinah was
spared.

Calls for Indonesia to do the same

Indonesia's efforts to save its own citizens does not sit well with advocates
who are seeking the same mercy for foreigners languishing on Indonesia's death
row.

2 of the most high profile cases are Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran,
Australians convicted of attempting to smuggle heroin from Bali to Australia in
2005.

Friday marks the 10-year anniversary of their arrest with 7 other people --
members of the so-called "Bali 9" -- who are currently serving lengthy
sentences in Indonesian prisons.

As the alleged ringleaders, Chan and Sukumaran were sentenced to death, and
denied clemency from President Jokowi Widodo, a decision being challenged
through the country's Constitutional Court.

"If Indonesia wants to effectively protect Indonesians from the death penalty
abroad, Indonesia should also abolish the death penalty here," said Todung
Mulya Lubis, 1 of the men's lawyers.

Chan, 31, and Sukumaran -- who also turns 34 on Friday -- are currently
incarcerated on Nusakambangan Island in preparation for their execution but no
date has been set.

Human Rights Watch called on Widodo to suspend all planned executions in
Indonesia -- as the previous government did between 2008 and 2013. No
executions were carried out in 2014, but earlier this year, 6 people --
including 5 foreigners -- faced the firing squad.

"The executions of 2 Indonesian citizens in Saudi Arabia in a single week
should be a turning point on the subject of death penalty in Indonesia," said
Andreas Harsono, the Indonesian researcher for Human Rights Watch. "Please stop
the lecture of sovereignty. It is so old fashioned."

Before news of the 2nd execution emerged on Thursday, the Indonesian Ministry
of Foreign Affairs held a press briefing to denounce the Saudi action.

When asked whether Jakarta's complaints smacked of hypocrisy, given the
country's refusal to spare foreigners on death row, spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir
said: "If you read our constitution, it is the job, the role of the government
to protect its citizens, right? So it's not a double standard."

"On the issue of death penalty, we can have a long debate whether it is against
human rights or it is morally wrong or right. That's a whole other discussion,
that's a whole other argument, but what we're saying now here is we are
implementing our laws and we are adhering to our constitution that we have to
protect our citizens abroad."

(source: CNN)

INDONESIA:

10 years since Bali 9 arrested

A decade after their drug smuggling arrests, Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan's
legal quest for mercy rests with a court that has previously recommended an
option of a life sentence for reformed inmates.

Friday also marks the 34th birthday of Sukumaran, who will spend the occasion
in an isolated cell on Nusakambangan Island, not far from where he and Chan
would be sent to the firing squad.

The pair were identified as leaders of the plot to smuggle 8.3kg of heroin,
taped to the bodies of young mules, on April 17, 2005, and sentenced to death.

Since they were refused clemency earlier this year, their lawyers have been
desperate to show the courts their rehabilitation over the past decade.

Chan is now a pastor and Sukumaran a painter, and both had a hugely positive
impact on fellow inmates at Kerobokan jail.

Melbourne barrister Julian McMahon visited the men last week, and says they are
well.

As he waits for the constitutional court to respond to a new bid to challenge
the clemency process, Mr McMahon recalls the court's 2007 recommendation on the
death penalty.

While it upheld its constitutional validity, the court recommended that death
row prisoners who showed rehabilitation after 10 years had the option of being
re-sentenced to a fixed term.

'There's absolutely no doubt my 2 clients have done a heroic job in reforming
themselves and many others,' Mr McMahon told AAP.

'I see that as an opportunity to enliven the constitutional court
jurisprudence.'

President Joko Widodo refused clemency to the men citing a 'drugs emergency'
but has the authority to reverse the decision.

No date has been fixed for the executions of the Sydney men and 8 other drug
offenders, but officials say they're considering a date after the Asian African
Conference ends on April 24.

Sukumaran's birthday is also being marked in London, where Amnesty
International is hosting an exhibition of his paintings.

(source: skynews.com)

*******************

A decade after the Bali 9 arrests, it's time to kill the death penalty ----
Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have captured the public's imagination with
their rehabilitation. Could there be a better argument to end the death
penalty?

On the 10th anniversary of the arrest of the Bali 9, I have a radical idea:
let's work towards a worldwide moratorium on the death penalty.<> For starters,
it would save a lot of time and diplomatic effort. Just this week, two
Indonesian maids were beheaded in Saudi Arabia after lengthy protests by the
Indonesian government; the Norwegian prime minister, Erna Solberg, asked
Indonesia to halt the executions of Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran
Sukumaran; the Australian government continued to push for clemency for the
same men; Filipinos gathered outside the Indonesian embassy in New York to
protest over the planned execution of their citizen Mary Jane Veloso; and
rights groups continued to argue for clemency for the mentally ill Brazilian
facing execution in Indonesia alongside Chan, Sukumaran and Veloso.

In the UK, celebrities Russell Brand and musicians Mumford & Sons joined the
Australian Mercy campaign - advocating clemency for Chan and Sukumaran.

The death penalty, a medieval punishment of no return, may have been an option
in pre-industrial, pre-enlightenment times, but we now have a variety of
sophisticated, finely-tuned and infinitely more suitable ways to punish
criminals.

Rehabilitation is a much better alternative and has been shown to work,
particularly in Indonesia - the country that has indicated it will kill up to
1o prisoners later this month. In fact, it has been Andrew Chan's and Myuran
Sukumaran's rehabilitation that has so captured the public's imagination.

It was 10 years ago on Friday that nine Australians were arrested in Indonesia
over a drug smuggling racket.

On the evening of 17 April 2005, a captive audience was able to watch on prime
time television Indonesian police footage of the bust. A ratings winner, we saw
as the Australian drug mules pulled up their shirts and revealed heroin packed
to their torsos and thighs under grey tape.

In their Hawaiian shirts they looked sweaty, young and scared. The death
penalty loomed over their cases from the start.

Coincidentally, Sukumaran shared his 34th birthday with the 10th anniversary of
his arrest. In that decade, there have been numerous court proceedings,
appeals, books and thousands of articles about the so-called Bali 9. And then
the usual stuff of life - Martin Stephens got married in a traditional
Indonesian ceremony, Scott Rush got engaged to a woman he met the night before
his arrest and Andrew Chan became engaged. Members were separated and moved to
different prisons.

But through it all, the 2 who were painted as the ringleaders, have been able
to reform and show it to the world.

Reformation is hard graft - even harder in an Indonesian prison where there
were no outreach programs to offer a diversion or even the hope of
rehabilitation. Chan and Sukumaran had to actually create their own
rehabilitation programs. It required, over a period of years, being animated
and engaged in the process of change.

The results, for both the men and their prison community, have been
outstanding. The governor of Kerobokan prison even gave evidence of their
achievements in jail at their appeals hearing.

Sukumaran's paintings are currently being exhibited in London, while earlier in
the year Chan was ordained a pastor. To achieve this in jail, while a death
sentence is hanging over your head, shows remarkable personal resilience and
commitment to improvement. Yet it hints at something deeper: in every person -
including criminals - there lies a dormant, higher self.

Kerobokan, the prison where Chan and Sukumaran spent almost 10 years, is now
being held up as the standard bearer for rehabilitation around the world,
largely as a result of the programs started by the pair.

Michael Chan, brother of Andrew told News.com.au:

I think that what has kept us going is the fact that he is a changed man. When
this all happened 10 years ago, he (Andrew) had no purpose in life and lack of
direction which brought him to those crossroads and seeing him develop into the
man he is today is a far cry of what he was then.

Whilst being there he has achieved so much more than a lot of people from the
outside given the same time frame ... that makes us very proud of him and
that's what keeps us, the family, going.

But there's a prang in the narrative - something that doesn't quite connect.
Surely if you've reformed, you don't get shot? Yet the Indonesian attorney
general, HM Prasetyo, has been reported as saying the men may face death by
firing squad before the end of the month, once when the Asian African
Conference ends on 24 April.

Surely if you are a government that is fighting tooth and nail for your own
citizens on death row abroad, you don't go killing others at home?

It doesn't make sense.

When I co-founded the Mercy Campaign in 2011, the petition numbers and
supporters grew slowly. Now we have 250,000 signatures from people all around
the world - including in Indonesia - respectfully requesting to President Joko
Widodo that clemency be granted.

In getting to know Sukumaran and Chan since their case received widespread
media coverage, there is a growing revulsion among the Australian public to the
idea of killing them.

In an interview with the Guardian, human rights lawyer Bryan Stevenson said
that it is impossible to support the death penalty when you have proximity to
it, when you feel like you know the story of the people involved.

It seems that a collective gut feeling has emerged among the Australian public
that the deaths of Chan and Sukumaran are unnecessary; that killing them would
be a waste, the pain of the families only adding to the sum of human misery in
the world.

For many young Australians, the case of the Bali 9 is the 1st time they've
engaged with issues surrounding the death penalty.

It's a dark topic, but the discussion many of us are having in this darkness is
heartening. It's a discussion that, for the most part, has been filled with
compassion and respect. Even the language is gentle - with everyone from
conservative politicians, to shock jocks, to activists and musicians using
words like mercy, forgiveness, rehabilitation, 2nd chance and redemption.

There's a new, different narrative that is emerging around issue of the death
penalty: that things can change, people can change, minds can change and hearts
can change.

So why can't punishments change?

(source: Brigid Delaney is co-founder of the Mercy Campaign; The Guardian)

******************

As Bali 9 duo await execution, Indonesia decries beheading of 2nd maid in Saudi
Arabia

The state-sanctioned beheading of 2 Indonesian maids in 2 days in Saudi Arabia
has prompted fierce protests in Indonesia and renewed criticism of the
country's double standard on the death penalty as it prepares to execute 2
members of the Bali 9 drug ring.

The executions were condemned by Indonesia's government even as it ignores
global protests about its own plans to kill dozens of drug felons this year,
including Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

On Friday, the Bali nine duo marked 10 years since the day they were arrested
in Bali for their role as organisers of a heroin smuggling ring. The
anniversary is doubly poignant because it is also Sukumaran's 34th birthday.

The pair are among 64 drug felons Indonesia plans to kill this year, with 6
already having been executed by firing squad in January.

According to Indonesian activists, Indonesia's president Joko Widodo's policy
of mass executions of drug traffickers is undermining the "moral legitimacy" of
its ongoing efforts to rescue more than 200 of its citizens facing execution
abroad.

Karni binti Medi Tarsim, 37, was beheaded in Yanbu, western Saudi Arabia, on
Thursday, after being found guilty in 2012 for killing the 4-year-old daughter
of her employer.

It follows a similar execution in Medina of Siti Zainab, who killed the mother
of the family she was caring for.

Hundreds of thousands of Indonesian women work in Saudi Arabia as maids and
reports of exploitation and mistreatment are legion. Public concern for those
that find themselves in peril in the oil-rich kingdom is widespread in
Indonesia.

"This is painful and really hurts us, the Indonesian people. The Saudi Arabian
government is really brutal for having executed two Indonesian migrant workers
one after the other," said Migrant Care - an Indonesian NGO that advocates for
some four million Indonesians working abroad, mostly as low paid labourers or
domestic workers.

Zainab, who Amnesty International says claimed to have stabbed her employer 18
times in response to lengthy abuse, was executed despite offers of cash from
the Indonesian government to to the victim's family.

It is unclear if the same "blood money" was offered to save Tarsim but in both
cases Mr Widodo personally lobbied for mercy.

In the wake of the killings, Saudi Arabia's ambassador in Jakarta, Mustafa
Ibrahim Al-Mubarak, was hauled in twice to receive a formal protest by the
foreign ministry.

In a statement, Indonesia's foreign ministry noted its "regret and
disappointment" that it wasn't consulted on the timing of the executions.

As Mr Widodo pleads for mercy for his own citizens on death row, he is
rejecting similar calls for clemency from other national leaders, including
Australia's Tony Abbott. Mr Joko has refused to return to Mr Abbott's recent
phone calls.

The president's stance, says Migrant Care, is hypocritical and damages the
prospects of saving Indonesians on death row abroad.

"The application of the death penalty at home will only make the Government
lose its moral legitimacy to urge other countries to free Indonesian nationals
who are on death row," executive director Anis Hidayah said.

Lawyers for Chan and Sukumaran have urged the Indonesian government to heed the
shocking executions in Saudi Arabia,

Barrister Julian McMahon said Indonesia had - until recently - had an
extraordinary record of stopping the execution of its citizens abroad.

"No other government in the world has had the success Indonesia has, more than
200 people in 3 1/2 years from 2011."

That success largely coincided with a moratorium on executions in Indonesia.

"Indonesia is now in such a difficult position. On the one hand, they are still
working so hard to rescue its own people facing execution but on the other hand
they have resumed executions at home."

Chan and Sukumaran, meanwhile, will mark the anniversary of their arrests in
Besi prison on Nusakambangan, the island in central Java where they are slated
to be killed by firing squad.

There will be no extra privileges because it is Sukumaran's birthday. There
will be no visitors as guests are allowed only on Monday and Wednesday.

Indonesia says the execution of the pair will take place some time after it
hosts the Asia-Africa summit, due to finish on April 24.

(source: Sydney Morning Herald)