[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----CONN., IND., KAN., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:57:27 CDT 2014

Oct. 29

CONNECTICUT:

Esty defends her opposition to the death penalty

Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty offered a passionate defense of her opposition to
the death penalty Tuesday night, a week before voters will decide whether to
re-elect her to a 2nd term representing Connecticut's 5th District.

The last time Esty ran for re-election, as a state representative in 2010, her
vote to abolish Connecticut's death penalty, following the Petit family triple
murder in the town she represented, helped lead to her defeat.

"I'm a lifelong opponent of the death penalty. It cost me my seat in the state
legislature . . . " Esty said at a candidate forum sponsored by the Woodbury
Business Association. "I live in Cheshire. Awful, terrible things happened in
my community. I remember sitting at my kitchen table and hearing those sirens .
. . An evil visited my community, but I do not believe that is made right by
the state killing in my children's name."

Mark Greenberg, a Litchfield real estate developer who is challenging her on
Nov. 4, has criticized her position on the death penalty, in the past citing
the case of alleged Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and on Tuesday
invoking the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

"I do believe in the death penalty," he said. "I believe, had Adam Lanza
survived, he should have been put to death for the terrible thing he did."

(source: New Haven Register)

INDIANA:

Serial killing suspect now cooperating with Ind. judge

Suspected serial killer Darren Vann is now cooperating in judicial proceedings
after refusing to even acknowledge his name at an earlier court hearing.

Vann, who police says has confessed to killing seven women in northwest
Indiana, was cooperative in his initial hearing, where he was formally read
charges for the strangulation deaths and robberies of two women, Afrika Hardy
and Anith Jones.

The suspect was upset last week when he appeared before Magistrate Judge
Kathleen Sullivan because a jailhouse courtroom was filled with media. He also
questioned why the proceeding hadn't taken place at the nearby Lake County
courthouse.

Sullivan held Vann in contempt last week.

Wednesday's hearing was held in a packed courtroom at the county courthouse.
But this time Vann, who was handcuffed and shackled at his feet, responded to a
series of basic questions asked by Sullivan with "Yes ma'am" and "No ma'am."

Hardy's body was found Oct. 17 in a Hammond motel. Jones' body was among six
bodies hidden in abandoned houses in Gary that Vann led police to after his
arrest for Hardy's killing.

Vann has also suggested to investigators that he killed more women, perhaps in
other states. Investigators have not corroborated those claims.

Sullivan entered not guilty pleas on Vann's behalf and informed him that he
faces a possible sentence of 45 to 65 years in prison for each murder. He could
face the death penalty if prosecutors decide to pursue it.

Authorities have identified 2 other women, Teaira Batey and Kristine Williams,
whose bodies were recovered in the abandoned homes.

The Lake County Coroner's office is still trying to identify the 3 other women.

(source: USA Today)

KANSAS:

Death penalty to be sought for Frazier Glenn Miller Jr. in Jewish facility
killings

Johnson County prosecutors will seek a death sentence for the man charged with
killing 3 people outside of Jewish facilities in Overland Park in April,
defense attorneys said in court filings.

As a result, the defense is seeking a continuance of the preliminary hearing
for Frazier Glenn Miller Jr. that is scheduled to begin Nov. 12 in Johnson
County District Court.

Ron Evans of the Kansas Death Penalty Defense Unit said in a motion for a
continuance filed Tuesday that District Attorney Steve Howe recently informed
him of his decision to seek a death sentence.

That will require a 2nd defense lawyer who will need time to familiarize
himself with the case, Evans said.

Howe's office has not responded to the continuance request, but a hearing on
the motion is scheduled for Nov. 5 in Johnson County District Court.

Miller, also known as Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., is charged with capital murder
in the April shooting deaths of Terri LaManno, 53, William Lewis Corporon, 69,
and Reat Griffin Underwood, 14.

At age 73, Miller is believed to be the oldest person ever charged with capital
murder in Kansas.

An avowed racist and anti-Semite, Miller allegedly drove from his southern
Missouri home to the Jewish Community Center in Overland Park where he
allegedly killed Corporan and his grandson in the parking lot. Reat was there
to audition for a talent competition.

According to the allegations, Miller then drove to the nearby Village Shalom
care center and shot LaManno, who was there to visit her mother.

He is also charged with 3 counts of attempted first-degree murder for allegedly
firing shots at 3 other people who were not injured.

Howe was not immediately available for comment Wednesday. Under Kansas law, he
is not required to file notice of intent to seek death until after the
preliminary hearing.

(source: Kansas City Star)

CALIFORNIA:

Prosecutors consider death penalty for pair accused of killing deputies

Authorities in two Northern California counties that each lost a sheriff's
deputy during a shooting rampage last week say they will jointly prosecute the
husband and wife couple arrested in the killings.

Luis and Janelle Monroy face multiple murder charges after allegedly carrying
out the shooting rampage Friday that killed Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputy
Daniel Oliver and Placer County Sheriff's Deputy Michael Davis.

Prosecutors say Luis Monroy first shot Oliver in a hotel parking lot and then
Davis during the ensuing pursuit that crossed into Placer County. Janelle
Monroy also faces murder and attempted murder charges for her alleged role as
an accessory in the rampage.

The decision to seek the death penalty against either defendant will be up to
prosecutors in both counties, Sacramento County Dist. Atty. Jan Scully said
Tuesday.

"We know that both departments have an interest in being a part in seeking
justice in this case," she said. "We think it makes perfect sense in our effort
to achieve justice for everyone."

Officials hope to try the case in Sacramento County, so Scully swore in 2
Placer County officials Tuesday so they could join the prosecution team.

The 6-hour ordeal began when Oliver, who was on patrol with his partner,
stopped to check on a suspicious vehicle in a Motel 6 parking lot. Officials
said Luis Monroy fired a 9mm handgun from the car, fatally wounding Oliver, a
47-year-old father of 2.

The couple then tried to carjack a motorist about a mile away, authorities
said. When the driver, identified as Anthony Holmes, refused to turn over his
keys, he was shot in the head. Holmes remains hospitalized in critical
condition.

After failing to commandeer Holmes' vehicle, officials said, the couple stole
another car and drove to Auburn, where they were confronted by Davis and his
partner. That's when Luis Monroy allegedly shot both lawmen with an AR-15.

Davis, 42, later died, while his partner was hit in the arm. Prosecutors allege
the Monroys also stole a Placer County sheriff???s vehicle and shotgun.

Luis Monroy was later arrested in a residence while his wife was still inside
the car.

The motive for Friday's shooting remains under investigation, Sacramento County
officials said.

In a 14-count charging document, Luis Monroy Bracamonte, 34, also known as
Marcelo Marquez, faces 2 counts of murdering a peace officer and 3 counts of
attempted murder - including the shooting of the motorist. He was also charged
with several carjacking and weapons-related felonies.

Janelle Monroy, 38, is also charged with 1 count of murder and as an accessory
with multiple counts of attempted murder and carjacking.

Law enforcement officials said Luis Monroy had a history of run-ins with
immigration officials. He had been deported twice and authorities believe he
may have had at least three different aliases and used multiple dates of birth
to avoid detection from law enforcement. Janelle Monroy is a U.S. citizen.

(source: Los Angeles Times)

USA:

Number of Executions in US Reduces Due to Problems With Lethal
Injections----The number of people that have been executed throughout the US
has fallen to its lowest level in years, due to difficulties with carrying out
death penalties in a number of US states and the high cost of prosecution.

The number of executions is likely to total about 35 in the United States this
year. The US has executed more people in every year since 1994, when 31 inmates
were put to death, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, which
monitors capital punishment. There were 39 executions in the country in 2013.

This is partially due to the difficulties with carrying out the death penalty
and the high cost of prosecutions, according to the Center.

"The states still have real problems up ahead with lethal injections. The drugs
simply are hard to get, and the sources are mysterious, which always raises
concern in the courts," said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death
Penalty Information Center.

Problems with executions in Oklahoma, Arizona and other states this year forced
officials to review new combinations of lethal injection drugs, the Center
posted on its official website.

Oklahoma has delayed the rest of its scheduled executions until 2015 "to allow
time to obtain necessary drugs."

Meanwhile the US Supreme Court has stayed the execution of Mark Christeson of
Missouri, who was convicted of killing a woman and her 2 children in 1998 and
was scheduled to die on Wednesday at midnight.

The highest court in the US supported his claims that his previous attorneys
were inadequate. Among other things, those attorneys missed a 2005 deadline for
a federal court appeal of Christeson's conviction and death sentence.

New date has not been scheduled yet.

On Tuesday evening, a former gang member, Miguel Paredes, was put to death for
the fatal shooting of 3 of his rivals in September 2000.

He received a lethal injection at the Texas death chamber in Huntsville.

Paredes was convicted along with 2 co-defendants, who received life sentences.

(source: RIA Novosti)