[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----FLA., KY., ARK., COLO., CALIF., USA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sun Oct 26 13:59:44 CDT 2014

Oct. 26

FLORIDA:

Execution delay inspired Sheldon to run

George Sheldon says he was persuaded by the actions of 1 person to run for
attorney general: Pam Bondi, the incumbent Republican. Last September, Bondi
caused the delay of an execution that was scheduled for the same evening as her
re-election kickoff fundraiser in Tampa.

Gov. Rick Scott postponed the state-imposed death of convicted murderer
Marshall Lee Gore at Bondi's request, moving it from Sept. 10 to Oct. 1. Bondi
since has apologized.

At the time, Sheldon, a Democrat, was acting assistant secretary for children
and families in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under
President Barack Obama.

"No matter how you feel about the death penalty, there's no more serious,
solemn responsibility than to take a human life," said Sheldon, who also served
as deputy to former Florida Attorney General Bob Butterworth.

"To do that without thinking about the victim, without thinking about the
message you were sending, ... that was the crowning blow," Sheldon said. "Look,
I had a pretty good job in Washington."

Sheldon has a long resume as a public servant: An aide to Democratic Sen.
Reubin Askew, who later became Florida's governor; a state representative from
Tampa in the 1970s; the secretary of the Department of Children & Families
under then-GOP Gov. Charlie Crist.

He was born in Wildwood, New Jersey, but grew up in Plant City, eventually
getting his undergraduate and law degrees from Florida State University.

His platform is to make the office even more of a champion for consumers and to
take politics out of the decision-making - as he puts it, "to be the lawyer of
all the people." He disagrees with Bondi's active opposition to the Affordable
Care Act and medical marijuana, for instance.

"Having been deputy attorney general, I know what that office can do," Sheldon
said. "While I was in Washington, we dealt with a lot of different issues, like
children coming across our southern border. I traveled around the country a lot
and saw states and the federal government working together.

"We worked with conservative governors who accepted Medicaid expansion because
it was the right thing for their states," he said. "I looked at my home state
and I saw this failure to recognize that 90 % of government is making the
trains run on time and how to find common ground.

"I was fundamentally disagreeing with where Scott and Bondi were taking
Florida," said Sheldon, the last of 6 children and the only one to attend
college.

In the latter half of the 20th century, "so many things were put in place, like
growth management, the Sunshine Amendment, financial disclosure, ensuring the
independence of the judiciary - and then really seeing all of that unwoven," he
said. "There's a certain idealism about government that we need to get back
to."

This month, Sheldon sued Scott over his personal finances, saying the governor
should "fully disclose all his assets and investments" instead of using a blind
trust, as allowed under state law. That suit is pending.

Another Askew confidante, former chief of staff Jim Apthorp, lost a legal
challenge to the blind trust law but is appealing.

Sheldon also was the target of a recent lawsuit.

A Miami lawyer challenged his qualifications to seek the office of attorney
general, saying that because Sheldon lived and worked in Washington for 2
years, he didn't meet the state constitutional requirement of 7 years'
residency before election.

A Tallahassee judge ruled that Sheldon's D.C. sojourn for work didn't
disqualify him, finding that he never gave up his legal residency here and
continued to own a home in the state.

On other issues, Sheldon doesn't buy Bondi's statement that she's simply
following her oath of office in her defense of the state's same-sex marriage
ban.

"She's trying to have it both ways," he said. "If you read her initial draft,
it was so rhetorical. ... It articulated a philosophy about the dangers of gay
marriage to our society.

"She says she's only doing her duty, that she's not going to be intimidated by
the press," he said. "To say she has gay friends, I heard that in the '60s and
'70s, except it was, 'I have black friends.'"

Sheldon says he's "under no illusions" about the race; Bondi is beating him
handily in the polls and at fundraising. But he recalls a piece of advice from
Gov. Askew, given to him decades ago.

"He told me, 'George, just remember the right thing to do is also the
politically right thing to do.' I believe that to this day."

(source: Tampa Bay Online)

KENTUCKY:

Trial date set for men charged in slaying of Lexington man

2 men are scheduled to stand trial next year in the death of a Lexington man
whose body was found in a barrel on the banks of the Kentucky River.

Media reports say Robert Markham Taylor and Timothy Curtis Ballard will face a
jury trial starting Oct. 5, 2015, in the beating death of Alex Johnson.

Taylor is charged with murder, kidnapping and tampering with physical evidence.

Ballard is charged with kidnapping, tampering with evidence and being a
persistent felon.

Taylor's attorney asked for at least a year to prepare for the trial, because
Taylor could get the death penalty if convicted.

Johnson, a chef at the University of Kentucky, went missing Dec. 20, 2013, soon
after hanging up the phone with his girlfriend when he heard a knock at the
door.

(source: Associated Press)

ARKANSAS:

Fort Smith Historic Site takes nooses off gallows

The thick rope nooses no longer swing from the gallows near downtown Fort
Smith, yet they still play a role in area history.

Officials with the Fort Smith National Historic Site no longer display the
ropes similar to the ones used by Judge Isaac C. Parker's court to hang
convicted criminals for anniversary programs at the park's gallows. Instead,
Fort Smith National Historic Site park rangers are using the nooses as
interpretive and educational props during visitor programs inside Parker's
courtroom, 301 Parker Ave., the Times Record reported (http://bit.ly/1ouR6KE ).

"Before, we would have the nooses displayed (at the gallows), but only on
anniversary programs of executions," said Michael L. Groomer, chief of
Interpretation and Resource Management for the Fort Smith National Historic
Site. "It would be at 2 p.m. in July back then, and the noose would be hanging
there, almost staring at the visitors. Suddenly, the noose became something
that overshadowed the program.

"It was almost as if it didn't matter what the ranger said, because people
would only focus on the noose," he added. "But the story is so much bigger than
the noose. Yes, the noose was one of the tools with Judge Parker's courtroom,
but not everything ended with a noose."

Groomer said the plan to stop displaying the nooses at the gallows for
anniversary programs wasn't based on a safety concern.

"Since the nooses were only displayed for anniversary programs, and not all of
the time, there wasn't the thought that the nooses were a safety concern," he
said.

Visitors both from the area and from other states and countries often are
surprised to learn that of the 13,000 cases Parker presided over, only 116 of
those cases resulted in a sentence that called for hanging, Groomer said.

"And of those 116 cases, only 79 were actually hanged," he said. "And contrary
to what some people believe, none of those hanged were women or children."

Though 4 women were sentenced to hanging, none was executed. Two had their
sentences commuted to life in prison by the president; 1 had her sentence
commuted by the Supreme Court; and one received a new trial and was acquitted,
information on the national park website states.

By showcasing the nooses inside the court for visitors, officials at the Fort
Smith historic site hope to shift much of the public's attention to the trials,
as well as the stories behind those trials. Lisa Confrad Frost, Fort Smith
National Historic Site superintendent, said this shift in visual presentation
will present a more accurate - and ultimately more satisfying - experience for
those who attend the park, which sees about 87,000 visitors annually.

"The stories about and behind the executions hold such a deep meaning," she
said. "The nooses are a part of that, but we want the tools to help people make
a deeper connection with the great history we have here."

The plan to stop showcasing the nooses at the gallows for anniversary programs
stemmed in part from some of the public's comments, Groomer said.

Parker was against the death penalty, a fact that also comes as news to many
park visitors, Groomer said.

"Judge Parker only let the hangings be carried out because it was the law," he
said. "There were only 2 reasons why someone was hanged - for murder and for
rape, or what we say are crimes against women when we have school groups here."

School groups and other visitors are first taken into the courtroom, where they
"learn the whole story" behind the trials, convictions and executions, Groomer
said.

"They learn about the families involved and much more; it's the full context of
the story," he said. "The noose still is important - we let people see it, and
they can touch it here in the courtroom - but there's much more."

Groomer said he, Frost and their co-workers undergo a "facilitated
dialogue"-type interaction with visitors.

"With that, we ask people, 'What are your thoughts on the trial?'" he said. "We
encourage people to ask questions because people have different ideas about the
judicial system."

By demonstrating the nooses only in the courtroom, Fort Smith National Historic
Site officials also hope to dispel myths that surround the park and Fort Smith,
Groomer said.

"I once heard a man say, 'I heard that Judge Parker hanged a child for stealing
a loaf of bread,' but that isn't true," he said. "And there's the rumor that
Judge Parker would watch the hangings from his office window, but that simply
isn't true. Judge Parker's office window was completely on the opposite side of
the grounds, facing (north), and he didn't watch the executions."

Pat Schmidt, a park ranger at the Fort Smith National Historic Site, said she
hopes visitors learn how Parker's rulings and beliefs continue to shape many
areas of the judicial system. Some of those cases involved claims and rulings
of self-defense, which inspired lawmakers and prosecutors to re-evaluate the
realms of self-defense and other areas, she said.

"Judge Parker's influence continues today, and it's exciting to see people
today make that connection," Schmidt said.

Frost said by giving more focus to Parker's cases and less focus on the actual
noose ropes, the park's programs can continue to grow and help attract more
individuals, families and groups to the park.

"We want people to say, 'I went to Fort Smith, and now I know why Congress set
that place aside as a special place,'" she said.

Groomer nodded in agreement.

"Yes, absolutely," he said. "May they never say, 'I went to Fort Smith, and all
I saw was a noose.'"

(source: Associated Press)

COLORADO:

Holmes' attorney says he could've done more to keep convict off death row in
other case

The lawyer who defended Sir Mario Owens says he could've done more to keep him
off death row in Colorado.

The same lawyer is now the lead attorney for James Holmes, who is also facing
the death penalty.

Dan King's surprising testimony took place Friday.

Owens is on death row and out of legal appeals. He was convicted, along with
Robert Ray, for the double murders of Javad Marshal Fields and Fields' fiancee
Vivian Wolfe in 2005.

Owens public defenders are now trying to convince a judge the convict had
inadequate defense counsel at his original trial.

Owens' lead attorney in 2008 was Dan King, chief trial deputy for the state
public defenders' office. "Dan King is looking back on his trial and he's
saying 'yes, I made mistakes,'" says criminal defense attorney David Beller.

King is lead attorney for Aurora Theater shooting suspect James Holmes.

King testified Friday that he was not properly qualified to defend Owens,
blaming mistakes in judgment, strategy and lack of experience. He says he was
given inadequate time, resources and personnel form the office of public
defender to mount an effective defense. "When you are looking at the execution
of your former client the defense attorneys are willing to blame themselves to
avert that," says criminal defense attorney Christopher Decker.

"The judge has to look at Dan King's testimony and either decide that Dan King
did not make any mistakes of if he did make mistakes that those mistakes would
have led to a different trial ruling," David Beller says.

Decker adds that King's team is trying to get a new trial for Owens. "I think
it unveils some of the realities that are occurring in each and every one of
the Holmes proceedings because every time the defense says we need more time to
review materials we need more resources to get experts."

They're already laying the foundations for a Holmes appeal.

The Aurora theater shooting trial is tentatively scheduled to begin in late
January and those same questions about a lack of resources and time for the
public defenders' office will almost certainly be brought up again by the man
leading his defense.

(source: KDVR news)

***********************

Students to explore, debate death penalty issues----DA to speak at open forum
Nov. 5

One of the goals of Northeastern Junior College's new criminal justice
coordinator, Dante Penington, had when he first came to campus was to bring
real world experiences to the classroom. With that in mind the college's
Criminal Justice Club will be a sponsoring a, "Death Penalty, Exploring the
Issues," open forum event Wednesday, Nov. 5.

Open to the public, the open forum will start at 2 p.m., in the Hays Student
Center Ballroom, which is located on the second floor of the building. It will
follow a death penalty debate between the Criminal Justice Club and Philotopia,
the college's philosophy club, 4 p.m., Monday, Nov. 3, in the Tennant Art
Gallery at Hays Student Center. That event is also open to the public.

During the open forum, District Attorney Birttny Lewton will discuss the death
penalty and the issues surrounding it.

Born in Denver, Lewton was raised by her mother and grandparents after her
father passed away when she was a toddler. After graduating from Colorado State
University, she moved to Laramie, Wyo., where she received her Juris Doctor
from the University of Wyoming School of Law.

Lewton worked as a prosecution intern in the Cheyenne District Attorney's
Office and the Albany County Attorney's Office. She began her career with the
13th Judicial District Attorney's Office as an intern and was hired full-time
in 2005.

Over the next 8 years, she served as lead drug and sexual assault prosecutor
before being promoted, first to Chief Deputy and then to Assistant District
Attorney.

Lewton was elected District Attorney in November 2012, in an uncontested race
as a republican. At this time, she is the 2nd youngest District Attorney
statewide and the first female to serve as District Attorney in the 13th
Judicial District.

When not at the office, she spends her time with her husband, Brian, and their
2 children. Although Brian is the farmer of the family, Brittny has been known
to run a combine from time to time.

As this will be an open forum event, audience members are invited to bring any
questions they may have about the death penalty.

November will be a very busy month for the criminal justice students. In
addition to the debate and open forum, on Friday, Nov. 7, at 10 a.m. the
Sterling Police Department will present a demosntration on how police dogs
work, in the Hays Student Center Ballroom. The public may come and observe this
presentation.

Additionally, on Nov. 12, Sterling Correctional Deparment officer Jeff Quinlin
will be speaking to the Intro to Criminal Justice Class. Students in the
program will travel to Canon City to do a prison tour on Nov. 18.

Last but not least, a mock trial will be held on Thursday, Nov. 20, at 6 p.m.,
n the Hays Student Center, Room 230. This event will be open to the public.
More details will be forthcoming between now and then.

For more information about these events, or the criminal justice program at
NJC, contact Penington at 970-521-6704.

(source: Journal-Advocate)

CALIFORNIA:

Suspect in California shootings that left 2 deputies dead previously deported
twice

A Utah man was charged with carrying out a crime spree in Sacramento that
killed 2 California sheriff's deputies and wounded a 3rd, law enforcement
officials said on Saturday.

A 4th victim, a motorist who was shot in the head, remained hospitalized
Saturday, officials said.

Marcelo Marquez, 34, of Salt Lake City, was booked into Sacramento County Jail
early Saturday and faces 2 counts of murder, 2 counts attempted murder and
carjacking charges, a sheriff's spokesman said.

The suspect's female companion, Janelle Marquez Monroy, was also arrested and
charged with attempted murder and carjacking, according to online jail records.

Marquez had twice been deported to Mexico, in 1997 for a narcotics charge and
in 2001 for an unspecified charge, according to Virginia Kice, spokeswoman for
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Federal officials on Saturday issued an immigration detainer, asking that
Marquez be transferred to their custody when he is released by local
authorities "so ICE can pursue removal."

Marquez was accused of staging a crime spree Friday that stretched from
Sacramento to the town of Auburn about 35 miles away, prompting a massive,
multi-agency police response and forcing the lockdown of schools and
businesses.

The incident began in the parking lot of a Motel 6, when veteran Sacramento
Deputy Danny Oliver, 47, approached a vehicle considered to be suspicious, said
Sacramento County Sheriff Lieutenant R.L. Davis.

Someone inside the car fired multiple rounds at Oliver, who was struck in the
chest. He was pronounced dead at the University of California, Davis, Medical
Center in Sacramento.

After shooting Oliver, Marquez, accompanied by his female associate, carjacked
a motorist, shooting him in the head when he resisted, authorities said. The
victim, Anthony Holmes, 38, was recovering at U.C. Davis Medical Center, the
Sacramento Bee reported.

The pair then stole a 3rd vehicle, a 2002 red Ford F-150 pickup truck, and are
believed to have crossed into neighboring Placer County, shooting 2 sheriff's
deputies there, Davis said.

1 of the deputies, 42-year-old Michael David Davis Jr., later died, the
sheriff's office said.

A somber procession on Saturday transported Davis' body to a funeral home,
according to the department's official Facebook page.

Davis was a 15-year veteran with the department and died 26 years to the day
after his father and namesake, Michael David Davis, was killed while on duty as
a sheriff's deputy in southern California, officials said.

A 3rd law enforcement officer, Placer Deputy Jeff Davis, was shot in the arm
and treated at a local hospital, the department said.

Marquez surrendered around 4 p.m. local time after holing up in a house, the
Sacramento sheriff's department said.

Both suspects were to be arraigned this week, Sacramento and Placer officials
said.

(source: Reuters)

USA:

Poll: Republican Support for Death Penalty Drops 9 Points

Since Gallup first started asking about people's views on the death penalty in
1937, Americans have on all but one occasion favored the practice. Nonetheless,
it has been a controversial issue in society, with the divide especially
pronounced between Democrats and Republicans. The former have tended to oppose
the practice, while the latter, for the most part, have supported it.

Increasingly, however, we're seeing a growing divide on the Right over capital
punishment - a debate that intensified after the botched execution of Clayton
Lockett in Oklahoma earlier this year.

While 63 % of Americans still favor the practice, according to a new Gallup
poll, Republican support for the practice is down nine points from when the
organization asked the same question 20 years ago.

More interesting though is the fact that support among Republicans dropped 5
percentage points in just 1 year.

"I personally favored the death penalty until I took a closer look and realized
it simply could not coexist with my conservative values," Marc Hyden, national
coordinator for Conservatives Concerned about the Death Penalty, said in a
statement. "I have traveled across the country talking to thousands of
conservatives over the last year. Many of them have changed their views and
many more are voicing strong concerns."

18 states, plus the District of Columbia, have abolished the death penalty,
while 32 states, the federal government, and the U.S. military allow the
practice.

(source: townhall.com)