[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENN., FLA., ALA., OHIO, IND., TENN.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Oct 20 12:27:18 CDT 2014

Oct. 20

PENNSYLVANIA:

End futility of death penalty system

If there's one thing for which Pennsylvanians can thank confessed double
murderer William Parrish, it's pointing out the mirage of the state's capital
punishment law.

"Mirage" is no mere opinion. It reflects reality. Pennsylvania has imposed the
death penalty 412 times since 1978, when capital punishment was reinstated, but
only 3 people have been executed - and they essentially committed legal
suicide, by declining to appeal. The last prisoner executed against his will
was put to death in 1962, more than 50 years ago.

Parrish is not one of the few going quietly. He pleaded guilty in 2010 to
shooting to death his wife and and baby son, but withdrew the pleas and stood
trial, then was convicted. In August, the Governor's Office signed an execution
warrant, but Monroe County President Judge Margherita Patti Worthington signed
a stay in September.

Parrish's case resembles that of hundreds of other convicted individuals, all
entitled to pursue appeals. It's a costly, lengthy but necessary process that
has given rise to a boutique industry of lawyers who argue both sides. This
life-and-death tug of war involves prosecutors, plaintiff's lawyers and judges,
including federal judges from the Supreme Court on down. All these people
recognize the gravity of their work. No one wants to see an innocent person
killed by government. Besides costing tens of millions of dollars, the appeals
process renders the "deterrence" argument toothless.

So, what's the point of Pennsylvania's death penalty, if nobody gets killed?

A 2011 Morning Call article reported that the death penalty costs an additional
$2.27 million every year, even though, as Parrish's recent stay shows,
executions do not occur.

Death penalty advocates and death penalty opponents alike should agree that the
system is broken. For all intents and purposes, it's mere smoke and mirrors.
All the death penalty is doing is bleeding Pennsylvania taxpayers.

(source: Editorial, Pocono Record)

*****************************

2 charged in shooting death to have pre-trial hearing

Carl Leonard Varner and Jason C. Shauf are scheduled to have a pre-trial
conference as co-defendants on Wednesday, for the 1st-degree murder and robbery
charges they are facing in the death of Victor Hugo Campos-Olguin.

According to court documents, Varner, 56, and Shauf, 40, allegedly burglarized
and robbed 310 E. King St., on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:06 p.m., and killed
Campos-Olguin during the incident.

At the time of the home invasion, there were 6 people at the scene. Varner and
Shauf allegedly went into the home, demanding money and personal property,
according to court documents. One of the men allegedly discharged a long
barreled firearm into the ceiling of a bedroom during the incident. The 2nd
allegedly used a black revolver to shoot Campos-Olguin, who fell into a nearby
bathroom.

The 2 men then allegedly fled the area. In an investigation by Chambersburg
Police, Shauf was identified as a suspect, according to court documents. On
Oct. 23, 2012, Shauf was identified by a witness as being the man who shot into
the bedroom ceiling during the incident.

In an interview with police, Varner denied involvement in the incident. He
claimed that Shauf was "setting him up," according to court documents. During
the interview, Police recovered a small single-shot .410 shotgun and a .22
caliber Mag revolver from his residence, 238 E. McKinley St., Chambersburg.
Both weapons were found to be consistent with evidence documented at the murder
scene.

Varner was facing the death penalty in the incident until this March, when the
District Attorney's Office withdrew the Notice of Aggravating Circumstances,
preventing them from pursuing the death penalty. The District Attorney's office
discovered evidence concerning Varner's "mental health history, which would
certainly allow a jury to find evidence of a 'mitigating factor,'" according to
court documents. After finding that, the death penalty was "no longer tenable."

Varner is facing 23 charges, including of 1st-degree murder, robbery, burglary,
conspiracy to commit murder, robbery and burglary, kidnaping and unlawful
restraint charges. Shauf is facing nearly all the same charges, with 28 counts
of robbery, burlgary and conspiracy to commit charges, however the 1st-degree
murder charge against him has been dropped, according to court documents.

The trial is currently scheduled for Dec. 8 through Dec. 12, and Dec. 15
through Dec. 19. On Wednesday, attorneys are expecting to resolve any pre-trial
motions left prior to the trial.

Both men are in Franklin County Jail, after bail was denied.

(source: publicopiniononline.com)

FLORIDA:

Adam Matos pleads not guilty; prosecutors to seek death penalty

Adam Matos, charged with murdering four people in Hudson last month, entered a
not guilty plea in court Monday morning, while prosecutors announced they will
seek the death penalty.

Standing in a red prison jumpsuit before Circuit Court Judge William Webb,
Matos confirmed he will waive his right to a speedy trial. Via his public
defender, Dean Livermore, Matos pleaded not guilty to 4 counts of 1st-degree
murder, 1 count of aggravated assault, and 1 count of being a fugitive from
justice.

Matos will next appear in court Dec. 9 for a pretrial hearing.

Early last month, investigators discovered four bodies stacked on a hill in
Hudson. They were identified as Matos' ex-girlfriend Megan Brown, 27, the
mother of his 4-year-old son; her parents Margaret and Greg Brown, both 52; and
Nicholas Leonard, 37, whom Megan Brown had recently begun dating.

Deputies had visited the Browns' home, which Matos shared, in early September
after receiving a tip that no one could be reached at the home. When a Pasco
County sheriff's deputy entered, he found large amounts of blood and a strong
odor.

>From there, deputies tracked down the bodies, decomposing in the heat less than
a mile away.

Arrest reports detail the way the victims died: Megan Brown was shot in the
head. Margaret Brown was found with a plastic bag over her head, which had been
bashed in. Her husband had been shot in the torso. Leonard died of blunt force
trauma to the head.

Deputies found Matos a day later at a Tampa hotel, where he had checked in
under his own name with the 4-year-old son he fathered with Megan Brown. The
child, severely autistic, was unharmed and taken into protective custody.

Authorities have found weapons inside and surrounding the Browns' Hudson home,
including crossbows, rifles and knives. They have also found blood-soaked rugs
and sheets, as well as blood and maggots on the floor of a Dodge Caravan in the
home's garage, court documents show.

Matos is being held without bail in the Pasco County jail.

(source: Tampa Bay Times)

ALABAMA:

Attorney for man charged in Pelham triple-homicide claims self-defense;
prosecutors say victims were 'executed'

Prosecutors say Jon Ingram Staggs Jr. "executed" 3 people inside a Pelham home,
1-by-1, because he was angry over a drug debt. His attorney says the shootings
were in self-defense, a "fight-or-flight" response to a struggle with one of
the men.

On Sept. 9, 2012, Casey Lee Cumberland, 22; Joshua Adam Smith, 22; and Simeon
Gilmore, 19, were found dead inside a home in the Chandalar subdivision in
Pelham. All three men were shot with a .45 caliber Glock.

Staggs was taken into custody that afternoon after telling his mother and
stepfather that he shot three people who tried to rob him.

The 22-year-old faces 5 counts of capital murder. His trial began 2 weeks ago
before Shelby County Circuit Judge Dan Reeves.

Herbie Brewer and Lisa M. Ivey are representing Staggs. Shelby County District
Attorney Jill Hall Lee and Assistant District Attorneys Roger Hepburn, Alan
Miller and Jeff Bradley are prosecuting the case. They are seeking the death
penalty.

Reeves will give an explanation of charges to the jury Monday morning, and
jurors will begin deliberations. Attorneys delivered closing statements Friday
afternoon.

Throughout the trial, they have offered different descriptions of the events
leading up the shootings.

The night started at Club NV in downtown Birmingham. The 3 victims, Staggs and
a man named Jeremiah Mullins planned to meet at the Chandalar house after
leaving the club.

Staggs gave Gilmore some marijuana in exchange for a promise he would pay $40
for it later.

Mullins testified on Oct. 15 that Staggs showed him the Glock and a shotgun
while they were in his truck.

They arrived first and grew impatient waiting for the others. Staggs walked
around the home and broke a window. He took a television and a video game
system and brought the items to a friend's house, Mullins said.

He testified that Staggs planned to return to the house alone later that
morning.

Brewer said the shootings happened after an argument and a struggle between
Gilmore and Staggs, who then acted "in the heat of passion, without time to
think or cool off."

"We might take 2 weeks in court but this young man made a decision in the blink
of an eye," he said in his closing statement.

Miller said Staggs was more calculating that night, particularly when he
decided to bring his gun inside to ask for his money.

Prosecutors say that no struggle took place in the house that night. Several
facts support their contention, Bradley said: Only a single, small drop of
blood was found on Staggs' shorts. A couch cushion was found on top of
Gilmore's body. Drawers removed haphazardly from a dresser were piled on top of
Cumberland's shoes.

A Pelham police sergeant who collected evidence at the home testified that the
scene "looked more like a ransacking" than a struggle.

Gilmore was shot 1st. He was found face down in a pool of blood in the living
room, where furniture was overturned and cushions strewn around the room.

Staggs has repeatedly told friends, his family and investigators that he was
defending himself.

In a Sept. 9, 2012, interview with investigators, Staggs' statements are
sometimes indiscernible.

In that statement, Bradley says, Staggs is "evasive, mumbles and looks down"
but still "confesses to each and every element" of the charges against him.

Staggs told investigators that he returned to get his money and a conversation
with Gilmore turned quickly into a confrontation. He said Gilmore "jumped up
and started running" at him, and he fired 3 times.

Staggs said he heard Cumberland yelling from the other room. He said they
struggled in the hallway before he fired several shots.

Cumberland was found on the floor in the hallway outside a bedroom, where the
drawers had been pulled out of a dresser and thrown on the floor.

Prosecutors contend that Cumberland was in bed when he was shot the 1st time.

"The only way out was past the guy with the gun who had just executed his
friend," Bradley said.

Then Staggs went downstairs to leave through the basement door, through a room
where Smith was asleep on a couch.

Smith "threatened to get a gun" and, in a kneejerk reaction, Staggs shot him,
Brewer said.

Bradley said that claim is "preposterous," and prosecutors believe no such
conversation happened. Smith, who was drunk earlier in the night, was passed
out with his face on his arms.

"The only thing that explains that position is defendant went down there and in
cold blood he executed Josh Smith," Bradley said.

Brewer said Staggs never denied shooting the men, but that the deaths of
Gilmore and Cumberland were not intentional.

(source: al.com)

OHIO:

Austin Myers moved to death row

The teen sentenced to death for the murder of 18-year-old Justin Back in Warren
County has been transferred to the Chillicothe Correctional Institution.

That's where male inmates on Ohio's death row are housed.

According to the website for the Ohio Department of Correction and
Rehabilitation, Austin Myers, 19, was admitted on Friday, one day after a judge
handed down a death sentence.

Myers and Timothy Mosley, 20, were convicted of robbing and killing Back in his
Wayne Township Home. Back was choked, stabbed and shot. The pair dumped Back's
body in Preble County.

Mosley testified against Myers in accordance with a plea deal he made with
prosecutors to avoid the death penalty. Mosley faces life in prison without the
possibility of parole at his sentencing in a few weeks.

Myers is now the youngest inmate on death row in Ohio. An execution date has
not been set.

Executions in Ohio are on hold until February 2015 while the state reviews its
lethal injection method.

**************************

Prosecutors seek death penalty in I-75 slaying

The man who sparked a 2 state manhunt faces the death penalty in Ohio and
Kentucky.

Terry Froman, 41, now faces 2 counts of aggravated murder and 2 counts of
kidnapping. He is accused of killing a teenager in Kentucky, then killing the
teen's mother, Kim Thomas, 34, along Interstate 75 in Warren County.

Police found Thomas in Froman's car on I-75 near Monroe on September 12. The
prosecutor says forensics show that Thomas was alive when they entered Ohio
that day. She was shot multiple times and killed in Warren County. They say
Froman also shot himself, but was not seriously hurt.

Thomas's family was there when the announcement was made. They say they are
appreciative of the speed to prosecute the case.

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell says he will face charges first in
Kentucky, then in Ohio.

Froman is being held in jail on a $1-million bond.

(source for both: WDTN news)

INDIANA:

Suspect Held In 7 Murders In Northwest Indiana

A man was in custody in northwest Indiana, after the bodies of 7 women were
found in the area this weekend.

A 43-year-old convicted sex offender was being held in Hammond, Indiana, where
at least one of the victims was found Saturday night.

Police suspect the man is a serial killer who might be responsible for at least
7 murders.

A source tells CBS 2's Brad Edwards that the suspect has indicated that there
may be many other victims, including those in other states. So far, he has only
told investigators where to find the bodies of the 7 from Indiana.

He apparently only wanted to discuss the Indiana cases because the state has
the death penalty and he wants to be executed for his crimes, the sources told
Edwards.

The suspect has lived in Northwest Indiana since 2004, mostly recently in Gary,
according to Gary Police Corporal Gabrielle King.

He was 1st arrested in connection with the slaying of 19-year-old Afrika Hardy,
who was found dead inside a Motel 6 in Hammond.

While he was being questioned about Hardy's death, he allegedly told police
about 3 other bodies. Investigators followed up on that information, and found
3 bodies in abandoned homes in Gary, Indiana.

"Once we received the information, of course we sent uniformed officers to the
scene," Gary Police Cpl. Gabrielle King said.

One of those women has been identified as 35-year-old Anith Jones, who had been
missing for a week before her body was found in Gary.

"We believe this may be the work of one or more persons, but again the
investigation is ongoing," Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson said.

Early Monday, the Lake County Coroner's office confirmed three more women's
bodies had been found, but have yet to provide any details on any of the
murders.

Hardy and at least 1 other victim were strangled. Autopsies were pending for
the other 5.

5 victims remained Jane Does as of early Monday.

"We're going through our missing persons reports at this time, to see if
anything is connected," Gary Police Chief Larry McKinley said. Police in
Hammond and Gary were conducting a joint investigation.

Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. took to Facebook to defend his police
department, in the wake of the apparent serial killings, as well as unrelated
allegations of police brutality and racial profiling.

"Charges of racism, brutality, etc. against the Hammond PD are being encouraged
and solicited around many parts of our city at this very moment. All in an
attempt to destroy the Hammond PD???s credibility as a fine policedepartment,
as I KNOW it to be," he wrote.

"As you hear the details of this grisly murder in Hammond motel room, and
discover how this murder was solved by our police, it will make you proud of
the Hammond PD. They captured a murderer, from Gary, that is a suspect in many
murders, spanning many years, in NWI. Hammond, and NWI, are safer today because
this murder case was solved. Our condolences and prayers go out to the victims,
and to the families of the victims."

(source: CBS News)

TENNESSEE----death row inmate dies

Tennessee death row inmate dies of natural causes

Tennessee officials say a death row inmate convicted of a 1988 murder in
Campbell County has died of natural causes.

Department of Correction spokeswoman Neysa E. Taylor says Olen E. Hutchison,
61, was pronounced dead at 8:55 a.m. Sunday at Riverbend Maximum Security
Institution in Nashville.

Hutchison was convicted in 1991 in the drowning death of Hugh L. Huddleston,
46, of Knoxville.

Huddleston was lured to Norris Lake under the guise of going fishing.

Hutchison's case became the focus of demonstrations and forums on disparities
in the state's death sentences.

Hutchinson was 1 of 7 men accused of plotting to kill Huddleston in an
insurance fraud scheme. Hutchison was the only person sentenced to death.

The man convicted of pushing Huddleston into the lake received a life sentence.