[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----PENNSYLVANIA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Fri Oct 10 11:31:06 CDT 2014

Oct. 10

PENNSYLVANIA:

Killer of grandmother, infant, asks for death penalty

As a jury prepared to resume a hearing to determine his punishment for the 2012
murder of a King of Prussia infant and her grandmother, the 28-year-old
defendant told the judge not to bother.

"I don't want this hearing," Ranghunandan Yandamuri quietly told Montgomery
County Court Judge Steven T. O'Neill. "I would rather take the death penalty."

Yandamuri, 28, a former information technology worker who immigrated from India
on a work visa, did not explain his reasoning, and ultimately it was moot.

After consulting with his court-appointed attorney at the urging of O'Neil,
Yandamuri agreed to be present for the hearing and allow it to move forward.

And after representing himself during trial, Yandamuris - who was convicted
Thursday of 1st-degree murder - also agreed to allow Henry S. Hilles to
represent him during the penalty phase.

A Montgomery County jury will decide whether to sentence Yandamuri to death or
life in prison after hearing from a slate of witnesses. Those proceedings are
to begin Friday.

Yandamuri's mother, Padmavathi, testified Thursday and tearfully asked the jury
to spare her son's life.

(source: Philadelphia Inquirer)