Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:16:31 CST 2014

Nov. 25

QATAR:

Asian American Christian Parents Matthew, Grace Huang Facing 'Wrongful' Death
Sentence in Qatar

An American Christian couple may face the death penalty due to the death of
their adopted daughter, who passed unexpectedly after refusing to eat for
several days.

The Associated Press reports that 8-year-old Gloria died in January 2013 when
she was rushed to the hospital after falling into a coma.The Qatari government
immediately arrested parents Matthew and Grace Huang, accusing them of child
trafficking and of deliberately withholding food from her with the intent of
killing her and selling the organs.

According to court papers, prosecution based the case partly on the suspicion
that the Huangs, who are of Asian descent, could not possibly have wanted black
African children as their own.

Matthew, an engineer, had agreed to work on engineering projects in Doha for
the Colorado-based company MWH Global. He and his family moved to the Middle
East with their two sons and a daughter, each adopted from Africa.

The Huangs revealed that Gloria had an eating disorder formed during an
impoverished early childhood in Ghana in which she would binge on food and then
not eat for days.

"From time to time she [Gloria] would exhibit an eating disorder - common among
children with backgrounds similar to hers - where she would refuse food for
days at a time and then eat more than an adult. Other times she would eat food
from the garbage even when she had healthy food available. Yet most of the time
she was vibrant and seemingly healthy. She then died suddenly in the midst of
one of her cycles of refusing to eat."

Following her death, the Huangs were charged with murder and sentenced to 3
years in jail. They served 11 months in an Islamic prison before being granted
bail last November.

Currently, the couple is kept under house arrest and are not permitted to leave
Qatar. Their two remaining children are also currently held in Quatar, and are
being cared for by their grandmother. A hearing will take place on November 30
and may result in the couple receiving the death penalty.

The AP reports that there is no physical evidence that Gloria suffered any
starvation, and independent witnesses testified court that they had seen her
eating several days before her death.

In addition, the word "starvation" was never mentioned by the medical examiner
who conducted her autopsy, but rather "emaciation."

Supporters say the Huangs are not guilty, and their detention is a violation of
international human rights.

"The Qatari police were fully justified in investigating Gloria's death. But
facts refute the charge that the Huangs starved their daughter or that they had
adopted her for illegitimate reasons," reads a statement posted on a website
campaigning for the Huang's release The continued detention of American
citizens Matthew and Grace Huang should end and they should be allowed to
travel home to the United States immediately," a statement on the website
reads.

Prayer vigils are being held by the Huangs' home church, Lake Avenue Church in
Pasadena, California, ahead of their next hearing.

Last Easter, Matthew wrote to his church: "The power of Jesus' work on the
cross gives us new life. I am reminded that Easter is a time for rebirth,
renewal, and restoration.

"My family needs to be restored together. My emotions are tired and weary.
Jesus brings restoration, and we are reminded of that this Easter."

(source: gospelherald.com)

ZAMBIA:

Death penalty for Kitwe murderer

The Kitwe High Court has imposed the death sentence on a 38-year-old man of
Masala township in Ndola for murdering a taxi driver and stealing his vehicle.

High Court judge Isaac Kamwendo last Thursday imposed the death penalty on
Hyven Musanshiko of house number 8075 Chinese Complex, Masala, in Ndola after
convicting him of murder and aggravated robbery.

Musanshiko on June 9 this year together with other unknown people murdered
Jimmy Kangwa and stole his vehicle.

Delivering judgment, Mr Justice Kamwendo convicted Musanshiko after the State
managed to prove the case of murder and aggravated robbery against him.

The judge said cases of criminals beating innocent people to death are on the
increase and that such offences should not be tolerated.

Mr Justice Kamwendo said the court had a duty to impose deterrent sentences to
send a message to would-be offenders.

He granted Musanshiko leave to appeal to the Supreme Court within 14 days.

During trial, Haggai Kayula testified that on the fateful day, he received a
phone call from Mr Kangwa who informed him that he would send some money for
him to use at the farm.

He testified that the following day, he tried to call Mr Kangwa but his
cellphone was off.

Mr Kayula recalled that he again tried to call Mr Kangwa after a week but there
was still no response.

The court heard that his relatives informed him that Mr Kangwa had gone missing
and they did not know where Musanshiko had taken him after hiring his taxi.

He testified that later, Mr Kangwa's body was found while Musanshiko had the
vehicle.

The matter was reported to the police and Musanshiko was charged and arrested
for murder and aggravated robbery.

(source: Daily Mail)

PAKISTAN:

Christian Woman on Death Row for Blaspheming Muhammad Launches Appeal

Asia Bibi, a mother of 5, was arrested and put on death row in 2010, after she
was found guilty of making derogatory comments about the Prophet Muhammad
during an argument with a Muslim woman.

The incident occurred in 2009, when Bibi was asked to fetch water at her
workplace. Some women objected because Bibi was a non-Muslim, and as such was
not allowed to touch the water bowl, let alone drink from it - which she is
also accused of doing.

A few days later the women went to a local cleric and put forward the blasphemy
allegations.

"On behalf of Asia Bibi I have today filed an appeal in the supreme court," her
lawyer Saiful Malook said.

"We expect an early hearing of the appeal and hope that the proceedings will be
over in 1 year."

The announcement came 1 month after the Pakistani government upheld the woman's
death sentence.

'No one should be killed for drinking a glass of water'.

Bibi's husband wrote a letter to Pakistan's President Mamnoon Hussain asking
for her wife's release.

"Since Asia was sentenced to death in November 2010 for drinking a glass of
water from our village well, my family has lived in constant fear and under
death threats," the letter read.

"Since the court confirmed the death sentence on 16 October, we do not
understand why our country, our beloved Pakistan, is so against us. Our family
has always lived here in peace, and we never had any disturbance.

"We are Christians but we respect Islam. Our neighbours are Muslims and we have
always lived well with them in our little village. Today many of our Muslim
friends cannot understand why the Pakistani justice system is making our family
suffer so much.

"We are now trying our best to present the final case to the supreme court
before 4 December. But we are convinced that Asia will only be saved from being
hanged if the venerable President Mamnoon Hussain grants her a pardon. No one
should be killed for drinking a glass of water."

Blasphemy in Pakistan

Pakistan's penal code states: "Whoever, with the deliberate intention of
wounding the religious feelings of any person, utters any word or makes any
sound in the hearing of that person or makes any gesture in the sight of that
person or places any object in the sight of that person, shall be punished with
imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to 1 year, or
with fine, or with both."

In 1982, a clause prescribed life imprisonment for "wilful" desecration of the
Qu'ran.

Then in 1986, a separate clause was inserted to punish blasphemy against the
Prophet Muhammad and the penalty recommended was "death, or imprisonment for
life".

A British man diagnosed with schizophrenia was sentenced to capital punishment
for blasphemy in March 2014. He is currently on death row.

2 high-profile politicians - then-Punjab governor Salmaan Taseer and minorities
minister Shahbaz Bhatti - were murdered in 2011, after calling for reforms to
the blasphemy law and describing Bibi's trial as flawed.

In October, a Christian couple were beaten and burned alive in a kiln by an
angry mob following allegations of blasphemy.

(source: IB Times)

CHINA:

Chinese police again probe acquitted death row prisoner: lawyer

Chinese police are investigating a former death row prisoner and curbing his
movements, 3 months after he was acquitted of the charge of poisoning two
children, his lawyer said on Tuesday.

The latest move by the police raises concerns about China's commitment to the
rule of law, after the rare acquittal prompted renewed calls for the abolition
of the death penalty.

Nian Bin, a former food stall owner, was freed in August after a court in the
southern province of Fujian said there was insufficient evidence to back up a
charge of "placing dangerous materials" against him.

But Nian "is now considered a suspect" by police in his Fujian home county of
Pingtan, who "have put him under control", said his lawyer, Si Weijiang, who
called the move illegal.

Police in Pingtan could not be reached for comment.

The latest step reflected a refusal by the police to accept the court's
decision, Si added.

"There is no rule of law," he said. "The public security bureau did not give
the reason for this. The key now is to see if they have new evidence, but I
doubt there will be."

Nian was accused of poisoning his neighbors with rat poison, leading to the
death of two children and injuries to four others in July 2006, rights group
Amnesty International says.

Nian said he was tortured into confessing during police interrogation. He
pursued his appeals for 6 years, in an effort closely watched by human rights
lawyers in China and global rights groups.

In October, the ruling Communist Party said it would prevent "extorting
confessions by torture" and halt miscarriages of justice with a "timely
correction mechanism", after a series of corruption investigations involving
torture outraged the public.

But legal scholars are skeptical about significant change under 1-party rule.
The government has been silent on establishing an independent judiciary or
reining in the police, a powerful agency in China.

Rights groups say China uses capital punishment more than any other country,
raising public concern of irreversible miscarriages of justice.

(source: Reuters)

*********************

Senior court official says China to continue death penalty reform

China's top court said it would study ways of further reducing the number of
crimes punishable by death, in an effort to reform a segment of Chinese law
widely criticised by international rights groups.

Activists say China uses capital punishment more than any other country,
raising public concern of irreversible miscarriages of justice.

In October, the National People's Congress, China's parliament, began reviewing
a policy to trim nine crimes from the list of offences subject to the death
penalty. Those reforms have yet to be finalised.

Hu Yunteng, a senior researcher at the Supreme People's Court, told a meeting
of academics on Saturday that China would deepen death penalty reform.

"[Officials] must thoroughly study how to reduce death penalty crimes, and
progressively limit and reduce the scope of the use of the death penalty," the
People's Court Daily on Sunday cited Hu as saying.

The use of the death penalty must be "100 % accurate and guard against any
false or unjust charges", Hu said, adding that the role of lawyers must be
ensured and the human rights of defendants respected.

Officials have previously said China would review the use of the death penalty,
which applies to 55 offences, including fraud and illegal money-lending.

China guards the number of people executed every year as state secrets.

The San Francisco-based Dui Hua Foundation, which seeks the release of
political prisoners in China, estimated that 2,400 people were executed in
2013. By comparison, 39 people were executed in 2013 in the United States,
according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Last week, state media said a court in Inner Mongolia would reconsider a 1996
rape and murder case which may have led to the execution of the wrong man.

Huugjilt, 18 at the time, was put to death a month after being sentenced, the
official Xinhua news agency said. Years after his execution, another man
confessed to the murder.

The ruling Communist Party, worried about rising social unrest and anger over
land grabs, corruption and pollution, has vowed to carry out legal reforms.

Experts, however, have said the reduction in death penalty crimes is not
expected to greatly lower the number of executions per year.

(source: asiaone.com)

SAUDI ARABIA----execution

Saudi beheads 8th Pakistani since mid-October

A Pakistani on Tuesday became the 8th person from his country to be beheaded in
Saudi Arabia for drug trafficking since mid-October.

Seyfour al-Rahman Golajan is the latest of 73 people, foreigners and Saudis, to
be executed in the kingdom this year, according to an AFP tally.

He "was caught trying to smuggle a large quantity of heroin hidden in his gut
into the kingdom", an interior ministry statement carried by the official Saudi
Press Agency said.

Golajan was executed in the Eastern Province city of Dammam.

The ministry says the government is battling narcotics "because of their great
harm to individuals and society".

In September, an independent expert working on behalf of the United Nations
expressed concern about the judicial process and called for an immediate
moratorium on the death penalty in Saudi Arabia.

The oil-rich Gulf state saw the 3rd highest number of executions in the world
last year after Iran and Iraq, according to Amnesty International whose figures
did not include China.

(source: Agence France-Presse)

BANGLADESH:

State may file review seeking death penalty for Sayedee

The state has hinted at seeking a review of an Appellate Division verdict
commuting war crimes convict Delwar Hossain Sayedee's death sentence.

However, Attorney General Mahbubey Alam on Tuesday said they would first go
through the top court's full verdict on the Jamaat-e-Islami leader.

Until now, it was unclear whether an Appellate Division verdict could be
reviewed. But publication of war crimes convict Abdul Quader Molla's review
verdict cleared the confusion.

Alam said both the defence and prosecution could seek a review of the top
court's verdict.

The apex court rejected Jamaat leader Molla's review plea last December. He is
the 1st war criminal to be executed.

An abridged version of the verdict published at the time did not mention
whether the Appellate Division's sentence could be reviewed.

Most of those convicted of war crimes are former and current leaders of Jamaat,
a party itself accused of committing war crimes.

The issue of a review of the top court's verdict again came to light after the
death verdict of another Jamaat leader Mohammad Kamaruzzaman was upheld earlier
this month.

The prosecution has been saying the International Crimes (Tribunal) Act does
not allow a review but the defence has been saying it is a Constitutional right
applicable to everyone.

Molla's full verdict says review petitions filed by the war crimes convicts
would be maintainable but it would not equate to an appeal.

However, the review plea must be filed within 15 days, since the 30-day period
of limitation followed in regular cases will not apply in such cases, the full
verdict said.

Although the prosecution said it was not content with Sayedee's verdict, it did
not say anything about seeking a review.

But now, the attorney general has hinted at taking up the chance to get a
review of Sayedee's commuted sentence.

The war criminal's family has been saying they would seek his acquittal through
a review. But they will have to wait as Sayedee's full verdict is yet to be
published.

Attorney General Alam said they would first analyse the war crimes convict's
verdict.

"We'll seek a review if we find elements in it [that will allow the move]," he
told reporters in response to a question.

(source: bdnews24.com)

*****************

Mobarak to hang for 33 murders

It must have been a muggy day on August 22 at Akhaura in 1971. The war was in
full swing and the freedom fighters had a formidable presence along the other
side of the border in India. The rolling hills of the area were witness to
heavy battles during those months.

The village of Tanmandayl, close to the border, was most likely within the
Muktibahini artillery range too. Locally known as a collaborator, razakar
Mobarak Hossain and several accomplices called a meeting that afternoon at the
house of one Noor Baksh.

The 130 odd villagers who gathered had little idea what was in store for them.
It was all pre-planned, they found out later. The Pakistani Army surrounded
them as they gathered at the appointed spot and took them away to the nearby
army camp at the bank of Gangasagar lake by boats.

Mobarak and his accomplices swung into action there. They asked the villagers
if any of their relatives had gone to join the Liberation War. The
collaborators selected 26 from Tanmandayl and 7 from a neighbouring village.
These 33 were detained at a local jailhouse overnight, while the rest were kept
at the camp.

The 33 were taken out the next day and taken back to Gangasagar bank. The
razakars and the Pakistani Army personnel made them dig a ditch. Those
villagers were then executed and buried there. The rest were eventually
released, but only after torture.

That Mobarak Hossain was sentenced to death yesterday. The war crimes tribunal
of Bangladesh found him guilty for killing those 33 unarmed civilians during
the war.

Also known as Mobarak Ali, he was sentenced to life in prison for his role in
the murder of 1 Abdul Khaleque, whose daughter had lodged the 1st complaint
against Mobarak in 2009. He was acquitted in 3 other charges.

It is the 13th case in which the 2 war tribunals have delivered judgement so
far.

The 5 charges on which Mobarak was indicted on April 13 last year include
abduction, confinement and torture. The case was kept for verdict on June 2
this year.

During the trial, 12 prosecution witnesses testified against Mobarak whereas
the accused himself and his eldest son Asad Uddin gave depositions as defence
witnesses.

The 64-year-old rose to the rank of Rokon, full member, of Jamaat-e-Islami
after the war. He later joined the Awami League but was expelled in 2012 as the
organising secretary of Mogra union unit under Akhaura upazila.

In his testimony on December 15 last year, Mobarak said he had not acted
against the country's independence. He claimed that he still held the post of
organising secretary. "My membership has not been cancelled yet. I was never
sacked from the party," he said.

While the prosecutors yesterday were "satisfied," Mobarak's defence lawyers
said they would appeal against the verdict since the tribunal had "failed to
analyse the evidence."

Gonojagoron Moncho, a platform of activists demanding the highest punishment
for war criminals, welcoming the verdict brought out a procession at Shahbagh.
Sector Commanders Forum, a platform of freedom fighters who led the 1971
Liberation War, urged a swift execution of the sentence.

Mobarak's home district Brahmanbaria saw a procession come out on the streets
cheering the verdict.

The International Crimes Tribunal 1 in its verdict said: "We have taken due
notice of the intrinsic gravity of the said offences of crimes against humanity
which are particularly shocking to the conscience of mankind."

The tribunal began reading out the 92-page verdict soon after it convened at
11:15am amid a comparatively relaxed atmosphere. Security in and around the
tribunal was visibly low compared to other judgement days as was the turnout of
observers, activists and lawyers.

Considering the "gravity and magnitude of the offences...we unanimously hold
that the accused deserves the highest punishment...," Justice Enayetur said.

The 3 judges took turns in reading out the judgement as customary at both the
war crimes tribunals. Justice Jahangir Hossain read from the verdict: "We are
convinced from the evidence both oral and documentary led by the prosecution
that accused Mobarak Hossain was a potential member of Razakar Bahini [force]."

Razakar, besides al-Badr and al-Shams, was a vigilante militia group mostly
manned by members and supporters of Jamaat-e-Islami and other right wing
parties that favoured Pakistan over Bangladesh. The Razakar units were
notorious for abetting the Pakistani occupation forces across Bangladesh during
the Liberation War.

The term "razakar" has since become synonymous with "collaborator" in Bengali.

Prosecutor Sahidur Rahman, who had conducted the case, said he was satisfied
with the verdict. Asked about the acquittal in 3 charges, he said: "We proved
that Mobarak was indeed a razakar. We are satisfied."

Sahidur, most of whose cases - Bachchu Razakar, Chowdhury Mueen Uddin and
Ashrafuzzaman Khan - have been tried in absentia, also noted that Mobarak had
been found guilty and sentenced to death.

Mobarak's counsel Tajul Islam said: "We believe that the tribunal has failed to
analyse the evidence presented before it."

Tajul and his younger brother Tariqul Islam, who represent Mobarak, are also on
the defence teams of the top Jamaat leadership accused of war crimes.

He said the prosecution witnesses had contradicted each other. "His crimes were
not such that he deserves the death penalty." Tajul said the defence would
appeal this judgement.

Barely 10 minutes away from the tribunal premises, activists of Gonojagoron
Moncho welcomed the death penalty with cheers.

Speaking to reporters at the Shahbagh intersection, its spokesperson Imran H
Sarker said: "There was an uncertainty that the verdict might be influenced as
Mobarak had joined the ruling party after the Liberation War."

(source: Dhaka Tribune)

INDIA:

India votes against UNGA resolution on death penalty

India has voted against a UN General Assembly draft resolution calling for
moratorium on the use of death penalty, saying it fails to recognise each
nation's "sovereign right" to determine its legal system and punish criminals
according to its laws.

The draft resolution on 'Moratorium on the use of the death penalty' was
approved last week in the General Assembly's Third Committee, which deals with
social, humanitarian and cultural issues.

India was among the 36 nations that voted against the resolution, which got 114
votes in favour and 34 abstentions.

By the terms of the resolution, the General Assembly would urge Member States
to progressively restrict the use of the death penalty and not impose capital
punishment for offences committed by persons below 18 years of age, on pregnant
women and on persons with mental or intellectual disabilities.

In its explanation of vote, India said the resolution seeks to promote a
moratorium on executions with a view to abolishing the death penalty.

India voted against the resolution as it goes "against our statutory law, First
Secretary in the Indian Mission to the UN Mayank Joshi said.

"The resolution fails to recognise the basic principle that each State has the
sovereign right to determine its legal system and to punish criminals as per
its laws," he said.

Joshi said in India the death penalty is exercised in the "rarest of rare"
cases, where the crime committed is "so heinous as to shock the conscience of
society."

He said Indian law provides for all requisite procedural safeguards, including
the right to a fair hearing by an independent court, the presumption of
innocence, the minimum guarantees for the defence and the right to review by a
higher court.

(source: Zee news)

**********************

Surendra Koli: Notorious Indian serial killer makes last ditch plea for
clemency

A court in India will hear a last-ditch clemency plea from one of the country's
worst serial killers, who has been sentenced to death.

However, human rights groups have said they are worried India's corrupt and
ineffective justice system has not allowed the man a fair trial.

Domestic servant Surendra Koli and his employer Moninder Pandher were accused
of killing 18 woman and children in a house in Delhi. They reportedly
dismembered their victims' bodies before stuffing their remains into nearby
drains.

One of Koli's victims was Anil Halder's 14-year-old daughter, Rimpa.

"There can be no bigger crime than this," he told the ABC.

"No bigger crime than this, what can be worse than this?"

Indian police said Koli confessed to killing 7 of the victims, including
10-year-old Joyti Lal.

Joyti's father, Jabbu Lal, is a laundry worker and thought Koli and Pandher
were nice people.

"They'd come to us with clothes and a couple of times they had blood stains,"
he said.

"I asked them about it, how did that happen?

"Koli told me the clothes must have gotten accidentally stained when they went
to buy freshly cut chicken."

Koli and Pandher were convicted in 2009 and sentenced to death, however Pandher
was later acquitted.

The crimes shook India, but there were also concerns Koli was not given a fair
trial in India's dubious justice system.

The investigation was marred by police misconduct and incompetence, and there
were allegations Koli was tortured until he confessed.

Maja Daruwala from the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative said the case was
typical of the things that could go wrong in the Indian justice system.

"In India, the justice system is extremely frail, it is extremely imperfect,"
she said.

"It's not so much about the horrendous circumstance that the Koli case opened
up and showed to the public.

"I think that overtook the case, but the frailties of the case are very, very
real."

India has imposed an unofficial moratorium on executions up until 2012.

Since then 2 people have been put to death.

Death sentences are still frequently commuted, but Ms Daruwala said there were
huge dangers in keeping the penalty in a country with such an imperfect justice
system.

"It is not a question of numbers, it is a question of what we as a country want
to be."

(source: Yahoo news)

UNITED NATIONS:

UN chief opposes death penalty

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is opposed to the application of death
penalty, his spokesman said Monday when asked about the case of Asia Bibi, the
Pakistani Christian woman who is under death sentence for blasphemy.

"The Secretary-General's position on death penalty is clear and well-known,"
Spokesman Stephane Duharric said while acknowleging that he was not seen the
latest reports on the case. But responding to a question at the regular noon
briefing about confirmation of Asia's death sentence by the High Court in
Lahore, he said that the U.N. was against death penalty. At the World Day
Against the Death Penalty, the secretary-general said that death penalty
undermines human dignity. The spokesman said that Ban also stood for tolerance
towards minority communities.

(source: The Nation)