[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----FLORIDA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Thu Nov 13 22:07:54 CST 2014

Nov. 13

FLORIDA----execution

Banks executed for 1992 double murder

Chadwick Banks, convicted in the 1992 murder of his wife and stepdaughter, said
he was sorry to a room of 19 witnesses before he was executed Thursday night at
Florida State Prison.

"I would like to apologize to the following families who I hurt and
disappointed by my actions 22 years ago," Banks said during a brief statement,
listing five families including his and the victims'. Banks prayed as he was
given a series of lethal injection drugs.

"I am very sorry for the hurt and pain I have caused you all, all of these
years. Year after year I have tried to come up with a reasonable answer to my
actions, but how could such acts be reasonable?" he said.

Banks, a Gadsden County man whose family has deep connections to the rural
community, shot his wife Cassandra Banks and 10-year-old Melody Cooper in the
early morning hours of Sept. 24, 1992.

Banks, who was 21 at the time, confessed to shooting the 2 with a .32-caliber
revolver the next day after their bodies were found by a family member.
Cassandra Banks, 30, was found in her bed; Melody was kneeling on the floor
facing her own bed.

During his statement he said that his mind was no longer befogged, "and I am a
different person."

The execution began at 7:10 p.m., after which Banks closed his eyes and began
to breath deeply. A team warden conducted a consciousness check by touching his
eyelash and shaking his shoulders. Banks did not appear to make any movements
following the check. He was pronounced dead at 7:27 p.m.

Florida uses a 3-drug mixture to execute prisoners: midazolam hydrochloride,
vecuronium bromide and potassium chloride. The drugs are administered
intravenously and are intended to first induce unconsciousness, then paralysis
and finally cardiac arrest.

Banks, 43, had 14 visitors Thursday including his parents, his siblings, a
friend and his spiritual adviser. Department of Corrections spokeswoman Jessica
Cary said none of his family attended the execution.

He was convicted in 1994 of 2 counts of 1st-degree murder and 1 count of sexual
battery on a child under 12 after pleading no contest and was sentenced to
death for the 10-year-old's murder.

Banks' 2 efforts to appeal his sentence were denied. Gov. Rick Scott signed his
death warrant Sept. 22, almost 22 years to the day of the crimes.

Banks is the 20th person executed since Scott took office in 2011 and the 8th
this year. He is the 89th prisoner executed since 1979, following the
reinstatement of the death penalty in Florida.

Annette Black, Cassandra Banks' mother and Melody's grandmother, said the
22-year wait for justice has made the deaths of two generations of her family a
tough subject to talk about. She was joined by several other family members
including her 89-year-old husband Rutherford, son Rutherford Black Jr. and
daughter Gail Black.

"Today was the culmination of the act that occurred over 22 years ago and it's
been very devastating to both our families," Black said following the
execution. "It's a pain that cannot be erased."

She added that Banks' statement resonated with her.

Cary said Banks ate his final meal about 10 a.m. Thursday.

"His demeanor was calm, and he ate most of his meal," she said.

The execution was also attended by Gadsden County Sheriff Morris Young, reserve
deputy Tommy Mills and GCSO Maj. James Morgan.

"The families of Cassandra Banks and Melody Cooper have had to carry this
burden for 22 years. Our hearts and prayer certainly go out to them as they
have had to relive the reality of losing love ones," Young said in a statement.
"Although Chad Banks confessed, apologized and has faced his penalty his family
is also grieving tonight. We certainly want to also pray for their strength as
they deal with their loss. We will forever remember the victims in this case
and continue to pray for healing for the families and our community."

Seth Penalver, who was exonerated from death row in 2012 knew Banks while the 2
were in prison. He was across the street from the prison during the execution.

He said that Banks, who listed his Muslim name of Magbul Abdur-Rahiym on his
written statement, was a changed man when he knew him.

"He had a bad past," Penalver said. "He was changed man, but he was human being
first and foremost."

The death penalty sends the wrong message, he added.

"What are we proving? Nobody wins here, nobody."

Banks' attorney, Terri Backhus of Tampa, sought a stay of execution in state
court in late October on the grounds that Banks received inefficient
post-conviction counsel and contested Florida's lethal injection drugs violate
the U.S. Constitution's ban against cruel and unusual punishment because it
presents a risk of pain and suffering. The state denied the motion, which is
similar to ones the high court has repeatedly denied in other death-penalty
cases.

Backhus also attempted a last-minute stay in federal court on the grounds that
the registry program that Banks' post-conviction counsel was assigned from is
unconstitutional.

Annette Black expressed condolences to Banks' family following his execution
and said she hoped it would serve as a deterrent in future violent crime.

"Our heart goes out to his side of the family. Its been a terrible day for us,"
she said. "If I could leave one word in parting, do unto others, as you would
have them do to you. Enjoy your life and allow others to enjoy there's. Almost
any decision a person makes can be reversed...but once you take a precious life
nothing can ever bring that life back again."

Banks becomes the 32 condemned inmate to be put to death this year in the USA
and the 1391st overall since the nation resumed executions on January 17, 1977.

(sources: Tallahassee Democrat & Rick Halperin)

******************

Florida man who killed wife and stepdaughter in 1992 attack put to death for
child's slaying

A Florida man who fatally shot his sleeping wife and then raped and killed his
young stepdaughter 22 years ago has been put to death for the child's slaying.

43-year-old Chadwick Banks was pronounced dead at 7:27 EST Thursday after a
lethal injection at Florida State Prison, the office of Gov. Rick Scott said.

Banks was condemned for the September 1992 killing of 10-year-old Melody
Cooper. Banks also received a life sentence for the murder of his wife,
Cassandra Banks, in a community outside the state capital of Tallahassee.

Authorities said Banks was drinking and playing pool at a bar before going home
about 3 a.m. the night of the slayings. Banks shot his wife point-blank in the
head and then raped and shot his stepdaughter, according to authorities.