[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----worldwide----ZIM., TAN., S. KOREA, INDIA/S. LANKA

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Mon Nov 10 09:30:21 CST 2014

Nov. 10

ZIMBABWE:

Tomana backs death penalty

PROSECUTOR-GENERAL Johannes Tomana has backed the retention of the death
penalty, saying any death should be avenged and God will not be happy if it was
scrapped from the statutes.

Addressing the last day of a National Prosecuting Authority workshop in
Bulawayo, Tomana said even if other countries had scrapped the law, it was in
Zimbabwe's best interests to maintain it.

"Personally, I also believe in the sixth commandment, which says 'thou shall
not kill' and also that any blood spilt should be avenged," he said.

"But other countries have moved on, God will not smile at us if we condone such
acts."

With the adoption of the new Constitution last year, Zimbabwe partially
abolished the death penalty, with women no longer being sentenced to it.

However, the death penalty can be imposed for murder committed in aggravating
circumstances on men between the ages of 21 and 70.

Tomana said because the country retained the capital sentence, a number of
murder accused had fled to South Africa and attempts to repatriate them had
failed as the neighbouring country does not deport people who face the death
sentence in their own countries.

The death penalty is outlawed in South Africa.

Tomana said despite his feelings on the death penalty, he would not debate with
policymakers on the abolition of the capital sentence.

"Remember, we are not activists, but law experts and so whether it makes sense
to us or not we will not debate," he said.

"There should be no political emotions at work because politicians can talk
casually about issues but we are only allowed to make investigated decisions
and not allegations.

"We are not here for arguments because I did not write the constitution, I was
not even consulted. It is the peoples will which we must enforce."

Speaking on prosecutor's conditions of service, Tomana said the law officers
should be above reproach and their work must justify calls for better salaries.

"We can only justify better conditions by better service," he said.

(source: News Day)

TANZANIA:

Anti-death penalty campaigners say proposed Constitution nail in coffin

It was October 10 again, and I can't help to think of the several people all
over the world who are now facing a machete on their neck - beheading, a rope,
lethal weapon, electrical chair or squad shooting or in the name of the death
penalty.

At times, I think over how the person who beheads a convict on death row feels
there after and on whether they can sleep with peace as they recall the last
glance.

The world marked the Anti Death Penalty Day where anti-death penalty
campaigners gathered to ponder over what ought to be done to do away with this
infamous punishment which violates the very fundamental right, the right to
life.

I remind myself over this famous saying by Richard Sherricky, that "When you
use murder to end murder you guarantee murder will never end," and wonder over
whether murder will ever end by state killing killers.

The World Congress Against the Death Penalty marks the 12th World Day against
the Death Penalty by drawing attention to the special concerns faced by accused
and condemned prisoners with mental problems.

Abolitionist according to the World Congress Against the Death Penalty would
like to see human rights standards that persons with serious mental illness or
intellectual disabilities do not face the death penalty.

The Congress stresses that persons with mental illness are at risk of being
convicted to death penalty other than the rest of the group.

The day however, comes as anti death penalty campaigners in the country grieve
in despair as their dreams to have the capital punishment scraped out by the
new Constitution seem to have almost been shattered.

This is so because Article 95: (1) ( c ) of the Proposed Constitution mentions
one among the presidential duties as to commute a death sentence into life
imprisonment, evidence that the country will still cling into the punishment.

The provision has been incorporated regardless of Article 33 guaranteeing the
right to life.

Article 33 of the Proposed Constitution of the United Republic of Tanzania
specifies that "Every individual has the right to life and to receive
protection for his life from the government and the community in accordance to
the laws of the country."

There is no need to guess that the so called laws of the country are the ones
which will nail those on death row.

Advocate Flaviana Charles who is the Vice President for the Tanganyika Law
Society says the only way towards that is to deal with provisions which are
fatal and which affect the principles of the Constitution.

She cautions that giving powers for the president to decide over who should die
and who should live is very dangerous as the country may come with a dictator
leader who may misuse the power to kill innocent people.

"If we get a president with no sense of compassionate he may kill all those on
death row. The option we have is to look unto the principles things in the
document, we better vote out to omit the said provisions as death penalty deals
with human beings," she says.

For her part, the Director for Empowerment and Accountability for the Legal and
Human Rights Centre (LHRC) Imelda Urrio says there are still hopes amid
challenges though.

"The Constitution Review Act requires that the proposed Constitution be sent to
the public for discussion for them to decide on whether all of the provisions
are to their best interest," says Urrio.

She calls upon the public to concentrate on the proposed Constitution by
observing on whether provisions incorporated are worthwhile if not vote out, so
that it can omit provisions such as the one which condones the capital
punishment before the final document.

A lawyer in Dar es Salaam Masoud George says that the fact that the capital
punishment has been incorporated in the document indicates that those
responsible held no regard for human dignity.

"Anti death penalty campaigners should not give up as changes take time. They
should keep educating the public on the evil deed of the death penalty as most
are unaware of its repercussions. One day the government will take heed," says
George.

I am sure some people may be wondering over why one would want a killer spared,
well it is for simple reasons, that there is no justification of doing the very
same thing that you abhor and then term it a punishment.

Some say an eye for an eye, while the late Dr Martin Luther King said that such
concept will leave the whole world blind.

If we are to kill killers, then we should also rape those who rape others. Do I
see the country come up with a national rapist to do the work as we do with a
hangman? Most of you would disagree.

The capital punishment will never be right simply because it is irreversible,
as killing an innocent person and realising it later will be fatal or the same.
No wonder, life in prison is better option as one can still resume his/her life
once someone finds them innocent.

Another major reason pro death penalty need to know is that those who convict a
person to die are not angels. Prosecutors make mistakes so do judges, and no
judicial system is free from human error, not even in the most advanced states
and no wonder, there are several prisoners in prisons who are innocent.

The only reason they have found themselves there is because they are poor,
destitute and some with mental illness who can never afford to pay for a good
defense lawyer.

Statistics in the 2013 Tanzania Human Rights Report by the LHRC indicate that
there were 387 Tanzanians on death row as of September 2013, a number which
could be higher due to courts convicting several individuals to die in this
year.

Helen Prejean, author of the book "Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account of
the Death Penalty in the United States" was once quoted as saying "If we
believe that murder is wrong and not admissible in our society, then it has to
be wrong for everyone, not just individuals but governments as well."

Indeed, the death penalty ought to be bad for all of us, let us hope that those
responsible will spare the country from condoning the hang man as doing so,
makes us all uncivilised.

Let life imprisonment be a solution to murderers all over the world, as killing
amounts to vengeance.

(source: Rose Mwalongo; The writer is an anti death penalty campaigner who
works as the Information Officer for the LHRC----The Guardian)

SOUTH KOREA:

Court to give verdict in case of doomed South Korea ferry

A South Korean court is set to rule on whether the captain of a ferry that
capsized killing more than 300 people, most of them children on a school trip,
should be put to death for culpable homicide in a case that triggered
widespread grief and outrage.

A 3-judge panel in the southern city of Gwangju will hand down verdicts and
sentencing on Tuesday in the trial of captain Lee Joon-seok, 68, as well as 14
crew members, who face jail terms if convicted.

The overloaded Sewol capsized on April 16 while making a turn during a routine
voyage to the holiday island of Jeju. The crew were among the first people to
be rescued from the ship, while the mostly teenage passengers waited in their
cabins.

The public outcry provoked by the tragedy led to concerns over whether the crew
would be able to get a fair trial, with private sector lawyers largely shunning
the defendants. Only one crew member was represented by a private lawyer.

"I think the prosecutors have been under very heavy pressure," said Cheong
Yeong-seok, a law professor at Korea Maritime and Ocean University.

During the 5-month trial, families in the gallery occasionally made emotional
outbursts.

"In my opinion, the death penalty which prosecutors demanded is too much for
the captain's charge. But the public opinion was too negative and the situation
from the gallery in the courtroom wasn't good," said Cheong.

Death sentences are rare in South Korea, which has not carried out an execution
in more than 15 years.

Kim Hyun, a maritime lawyer advising the government on payment of damages to
victims in the sinking, said he believed the crew received a fair hearing.

"I think it has been a fair trial given the defendants and their lawyers have
made enough arguments in favor of them, despite public criticism," he said.

Only 172 of the 476 passengers and crew were rescued. Of the 304 confirmed dead
or still missing, 250 were school children.

The crew on trial have said they thought it was the coastguard's job to
evacuate passengers. Video footage of their escape triggered outrage,
especially after survivors testified that crew repeatedly told passengers to
stay put.

3 crew members in addition to Lee face homicide charges, with prosecutors
seeking life prison terms. Prosecutors sought prison terms ranging from 15 to
30 years for the other crew on trial, who face lesser charges, including
negligence.

There are 58 people on death row in South Korea, according to the justice
ministry, but the last time the country carried out an execution was in
December 1997, when 23 convicts were hanged.

Lee, the captain, has apologized to the families of the victims and said he
never intended to harm anyone.

Some of the crew made tearful apologies following their lawyers' closing
speeches, which argued that the defendants were mostly too badly trained to
handle the disaster.

(source: Reuters)

INDIA/SRI LANKA:

Death for Indian fishermen----'Sri Lanka has not implemented death penalty
since 1976'

Northern Province Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran, currently in Chennai, said
he had explained this to the families of the 5 Tamil fishermen awarded the
sentence by a Colombo court recently.

In what could be a major relief to the 5 Tamil fishermen who have been awarded
death sentence by the Sri Lankan High Court on drug trafficking charges, the
country's Northern Province Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran said his country
had not implemented death sentence since 1976.

Mr Wigneswaran, who was a former Judge of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka, said
in Chennai on Monday that even though death sentence was still part of the law
it had not been implemented since 1976.

He said the families of the 5 fishermen also met him in Chennai and had sought
his intervention to cancel the death penalty. "I explained to them that death
sentence was not strictly implemented in Sri Lanka," he told reporters.

Tamil National Alliance (TNA) MP M.A. Sumanthiran, a Constitutional and human
rights lawyer, said that in Sri Lanka, if a person possessed more than two
grams of heroin he would face death sentence.

"There were instances of death sentences awarded to those involved in smuggling
of narcotics. But the sentences were not implemented," he said.

(source: The Hindu)

*************

5 Tamil fishermen serving death sentence in Sri Lanka to be transferred to
Indian jail

In a big relief to the families of five Tamil fishermen who were awarded death
penalty by a Sri Lankan court, the island nation has decided to transfer all
the five convicts to Indian jail, according to BJP leader Subramanian Swamy.

The breakthrough happened after Prime Minister Narendra Modi stepped in and
spoke to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Swamy tweeted on Monday
morning.

"Namo and Rajapaksa spoke on the phone yesterday&agreed to process papers &
transfer 5 fishermen convicted to Indian jail. I am vindicated!," the tweet
read.

Neomal Perera, Deputy Minister of External Affairs, Sri Lanka told CNN-IBN,
"Indian Prime Minister has spoken to President Rajpaksa yesterday.. details and
outcome of the conversation are not clear yet. Sri Lanka and India have very
good relations, we respect each others concern. We are sure every problem can
be sorted out through discussion."

The case dates back to 2011 when the 5 fishermen set out to fish from
Rameswaram and were apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy on the charge of
possessing narcotics.

A Sri Lankan court had recently sentenced the 5 fishermen to death in the case.

(source: CNN-IBN Live)

******************

PM Narendra Modi Speaks to Sri Lankan President Over Death Penalty to Indian
Fishermen

Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on
Sunday over the death sentence handed out to five Indian fishermen which has
sparked protests in their home state of Tamil Nadu.

The 5 - Emerson, P Augustus, R Wilson, K Prasath and J Langlet - were sentenced
to death by the Colombo High Court on October 30 on charges of drug
trafficking.

"The talks were centred around the 5 Indian fishermen's issue but as of now I
don't know any other details," Lankan Presidential Spokesperson Mohan
Samaranayake told NDTV.

Political parties in the state including MDMK - an ally of the ruling NDA at
the Centre - have accused the Centre of doing little. In a letter to the Prime
Minister, Chief Minister O Panneerselvam had raised apprehensions over whether
the fishermen had received a fair trial.

Alleging that the case against the fishermen was "fabricated", MDMK chief Vaiko
had said that the PM should intervene strongly through diplomatic channels to
secure the release of the convicted Indians.

The arrest of fishermen has long been an issue in Tamil Nadu. The sentence
comes at a time when the state is demanding the return of Katchatheevu, an
island India had gifted to Sri Lanka in the early 70s. Former Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister J Jayalalithaa has filed a petition in the Supreme Court in this
regard.

Some headway was made on the arrests during the visit of President Rajapaksa in
May for the swearing-in of PM Modi. A month later, Ms Jayalalithaa, who had
boycotted the swearing-in to protest the invitation to Mr Rajapaksa, wrote to
the Prime Minister, asking him to make the issue a priority.

Mr Rajapaksa ordered the release of a few hundred fishermen arrested for
trespass. But those accused of drug peddling were not allowed to go.

(source: NDTV.com)