[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----MO., OKLA., NEB., WYO.

Rick Halperin rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Dec 6 12:38:27 CST 2014

Dec. 6

MISSOURI----impending (Human Rights Day) execution

Missouri Poised to Execute Individual with Significant Intellectual
Disabilities

Despite Missouri law and a 2002 U.S. Supreme Court ruling prohibiting the
execution of persons with mental retardation (now known as intellectual
disability), Missouri is poised to kill an individual with obvious limited
intellectual capabilities.

Paul Goodwin, scheduled to be executed on December 10, meets the criteria for
intellectual disability under Missouri law-including low IQ scores, significant
deficits in adaptive skills (i.e. life skills and communication). Evidence of
his disability existed well before the age of 18.

Throughout his school years, Goodwin received services from the Special School
District in St. Louis. He failed 3 grades and had low IQ scores. As an adult he
needed help with basic living skills, such as managing money and performing
ordinary tasks. Even now at age 48, those who know Goodwin see him as a
"simple-minded kid" who often exhibits childish, immature behavior.
Unfortunately, no court has fully examined his claims of intellectual
disability.

Paul Goodwin needs to be held accountable for the murder of Joan Crotts, but it
is inappropriate for someone with his level of disability to be given the
ultimate punishment. Modern society recognizes that the death penalty is not
meant to be used upon people, like Paul Goodwin, who have diminished capacity
and diminished culpability. He can be adequately punished by spending the rest
of his life in prison.

Please contact Governor Jay Nixon at 573-751-3222 or by clicking here and ask
that he halt the execution of Paul Goodwin. The execution of a person with
significant intellectual disability would serve no purpose and would diminish
us all.

(source: Missouri Catholic Conference)

OKLAHOMA:

Local Amnesty group plans letter writing event for human rights

The world's largest annual human rights event will take place from Dec. 1 - 17
in schools, coffee shops, community centers, and street corners around the
globe.

Members of Amnesty International (AI) worldwide will participate in the annual
Write for Rights: Amnesty's Global Write-A-Thon.

The Oklahoma City group will hold an event on Saturday, Dec. 6 at Full Circle
Book Store, 1900 N.W. Expressway, from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. The public is invited
to participate.

John Walters, Legislative Coordinator, Amnesty USA-OK-Group #238 said, "During
the Write for Rights event we will write letters on behalf of prisoners of
conscience all over the world.

"By taking part in the Write for Rights Write-A-Thon you can help bring about
the release of a prisoner of conscience or an end to the harassment of someone
standing up for Human Rights."

Every year, close to Human Rights Day on Wednesday, Dec. 10, hundreds of
thousands of people around the world will send a message to someone they've
never met to demonstrate their support.

For 53 years, AI's human rights campaigns have been instrumental in obtaining
freedom for prisoners worldwide through pressure from letters, faxes, and
e-mails written by Amnesty International activists. "You are joining your voice
with others around the world to demand that the rights of individuals be
respected and protected," Walters added. "You have the power to change
someone's life by simply writing a letter.

"At this event we will also write Christmas cards to all prisoners on death row
in Oklahoma."

Currently the state has 49 inmates on death row. In 2015 there are 4 state
executions scheduled: Charles Warner on Jan. 15, Richard Glossip on Jan. 29,
John Marion on Feb. 19 and Benjamin Cole, Jr. on Mar. 5.

Adam Leathers, OK-CADP) co-chair said, "The Oklahoma Coalition against the
Death Penalty (OK-CADP) is proud to participate in this annual Amnesty
International Group #238 project.

"It is one more way we can let those prisoners on Oklahoma's death row know
that they are not forgotten. I hope with all my heart that it also signals to
them that we are working tirelessly to end this travesty of 'killing people who
kill' to show that killing people is wrong."

Amnesty International has 3 million supporters who take action each year in
this event.

Tens of thousands of individuals have been released from jail, rescued from
torture, or aided in other ways following action by Amnesty International.

Mideksa Birtukan is from Ethiopia and one of those who benefited from the 2009
Write for Rights event.

"Through your work on behalf of thousands of prisoners of conscience around the
world, Amnesty International continues to be the conscience of humanity," said
Birtukan.

"You have a hallowed mission to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth
and dignity are denied. Your letters, phone calls, and petitions were my
protection during the months I spent in solitary confinement. You were my voice
when I had none."

Thousands of people are in prison around the world because of their beliefs,
gender, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity. Many are held without charge or
trial and are at risk of torture or execution.

The Write for Rights campaign empowers individuals to take action against these
violations.

Walters said, "We will have all you need including the letters and postage. You
just need to sign, and write custom letters on cases you select. But if you
can, please bring a book of stamps to contribute to the effort."

(source: The City Sentinel)

NEBRASKA:

Death penalty opponents to speak in Lex Sunday----Schiebers oppose it despite
the 1998 murder of their daughter

Vicki and Sylvester Schieber lived through their worst nightmare in 1998.

Their daughter, Shannon, was raped and killed in her apartment by a man who was
eventually revealed to be a serial rapist. Shannon was in her 1st year of a
full scholarship at the University of Pennsylvania when she was killed.

So what did the Schiebers do in the wake of unimaginable tragedy? They
dedicated themselves to the cause of ending the death penalty.

The Schiebers were leaders in a successful 2013 campaign to end the use of the
death penalty in their home state of Maryland. On Sunday, Dec. 7, they will be
speaking at First Presbyterian Church of Lexington.

Sylvester Schieber said that for many people, the death penalty issue is an
abstract. It's something they see or hear about, but have no direct experience
with.

"When our daughter was murdered, we had to confront the issue head on. It
wasn't abstract for us anymore," he said.

It took 4 years for authorities to catch up with Shannon's murderer, but well
before he was captured, the Schiebers already decided they did not want to see
him put to death.

"When he was captured in Colorado in 2002, the Philadelphia district attorney
held a press conference that she was going to seek the death penalty in the
case, even though we had already said publicly that we were against it,"
Schieber said. Eventually, the DA relented and Shannon's murderer pleaded
guilty to 6 rapes in Colorado, 6 more in Philadelphia (including Shannon's),
and murder. He was sentenced to life without parole for the murder and hundreds
of years of additional time for the sexual assaults.

"He's in a maximum security prison in Colorado, and he'll be there for the rest
of his life," Schieber said.

What would motivate a couple that conventional logic would dictate might be in
favor of the death penalty? "Some of it is based on religious grounds,"
Schieber explained. "My wife and I were both raised Catholic."

There's more to it, though. "After Shannon's death, we really began to research
the topic, and the more we learned, the more we were against using the death
penalty," he continued.

"The application of the use of the death penalty is extremely uneven. Since the
death penalty was reinstated in the 1970s, 85 % of counties have not had a
single death penalty case. The 15 % that have only represent about 30 % of the
total population of the country," Schieber said.

"Most of the cases are in densely populated urban areas, but it varies even
from city to city. In Missouri, where I'm from originally, if you commit a
murder you are far more likely to be sentenced to death in St. Louis than if
you committed the crime in Kansas City," he said. "In Texas, you are far more
likely to be sentenced to death for murder in Houston than in Dallas."

Lower income and minority defendants are sentenced to death in disproportionate
numbers, as well, he noted.

"On the victim side of things, the death penalty process becomes extremely hard
on the surviving family members. The typical execution doesn't take place until
17 years after the commission of the crime, and in the meantime there is the
trial, re-trial, and hearing after hearing," Schieber said.

The Schiebers will be sharing their story and their views on the death penalty
at the church during Bible School at 9 a.m. and a public event at 11:30 a.m.
Sunday. The event is free. Vicki is a member of the national Catholic
Mobilizing Network to End the Death Penalty, an organization that works in
close collaboration with the U.S. Catholic Conference of Bishops. Sylvester
holds a PhD in economics from Notre Dame and will explain why the death penalty
is a fiscal failure.

(source: Lexington Clipper-Herald)

WYOMING:

Firing Squad Bill To Be Introduced In The Wyoming Legislature

The Senate Judiciary Committee will introduce a new bill to the Wyoming
Legislature this January that would offer death by firing squad as an execution
alternative.

5 legal execution methods exist in the United States: lethal injection,
electric chair, hanging, gas chamber, and firing squad. Currently, no one is on
Wyoming's death row. But if an inmate were to be executed, the state would use
lethal injection with the gas chamber as a backup.

Senator Bruce Burns of Sheridan was the bill's initial sponsor. He says lethal
injection drugs are difficult to get ahold of nationwide, and that Wyoming's
gas chamber is broken and could take millions of dollars to fix. This bill
would give the option of using firing squads in place of the gas chamber.

In addition to implementing the firing squad as the secondary form of
execution, Burns says the bill would allow executives to be carried out more
efficiently.

"It also allows the secondary form of execution to be used if the 1st form
cannot be carried out in a timely fashion."

Despite the outcome of his bill, Burns says it's already initiated some
conversation. "It has also provoked a debate on the death penalty, and Wyoming
using the death penalty, in the first place," Burns says. "And I welcome the
debate."

Senator Burns says the firing squad is cheaper and more reliable than most of
the other methods.

(source: wyomingpublicmedia.org)