[Deathpenalty] death penalty news----worldwide
rhalperi at smu.edu
Sat Aug 13 11:52:18 CDT 2011
Libya threatens death for unauthorised Thuraya use
The regime of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi threatened on Friday to execute
anyone found to be using a Thuraya satellite telephone without official
authorisation, saying they will be deemed to be communicating with the enemy.
"Any citizen in possession of a Thuraya must hold an authorisation to use it in
accordance with the laws and regulations," the official JANA news agency said.
"Otherwise, he will be punished according to the law that criminalises
communicating with the enemy in time of war, and stipulates penalties up to the
death penalty," the agency added.
In explaining the measure, it said "spies among the traitors, (who are) agents
of the Atlantic alliance (NATO), provided information on sites that were bombed
by the Crusaders, leading to a large number of victims among innocent
Several regions of Libyan territory controlled by Moamer Kadhafi's regime have
been deprived of mobile phone coverage, as in Zliten, 120 kilometres (75 miles)
east of Tripoli.
On Tuesday, Kadhafi's regime accused NATO of killing 85 people, including women
and children, in air raids on a village near Zliten, but the alliance has
reported no evidence of civilian deaths.
(source: Agence France-Presse)
Death sentence upheld for China hit-and-run truck driver
A court in northwest China on Friday upheld the death penalty for a truck
driver who was convicted of killing 4 teenage students in a hit-and-run
accident in 2009.
The Shaanxi Provincial Higher People's Court rejected Wang Shuangwa's appeal
against the verdict of the 1st trial handed down by the Intermediate People's
Court of Xi'an, the provincial capital, in November last year.
Wang's overloaded truck hit 5 junior high school students on their way to
school in Chang'an District in the suburbs of Xi'an early in the morning on
February 10, 2009, killing 4 and seriously injuring one, according to the
Wang had earlier stated that he did not notice the collision, but court judges
rejected his defense and said that instead of checking on the victims, he fled
the scene and destroyed all evidence by changing the tires and cleaning up the
blood off the vehicle.
Shortly after the hit-and-run, Wang fled to Xinjiang in the far west, but he
surrendered himself 5 days later in wake of massive police manhunt.
Most Egyptians want death penalty for Mubarak
Most Egyptians want the death penalty for their former president, Hosni
Mubarak, reports Russian news agency, Itar-Tass, citing a survey.
According to the survey, conducted online by the international polling
organization YouGov, based in the UK, 67 % of the republic's residents favour
the death penalty for Mubarak, and only 22 percent consider such a measure too
harsh. The survey of 1,012 Egyptians was conducted on August 5-7.
The most negative attitude toward the former president is that of young people
aged 18 to 24. In this age group the death penalty is the choice of 77 % of
respondents, 48 % of respondents named Mubarak a "dictator" and 46 % stated he
was "corrupt", 40 % believe that the former leader of the country was "an ally
of the West", 61 % believe that he pretended to be sick win people's sympathy.
Almost half of the respondents said the army should continue to play an
important role in the politics of the country even after the adoption of a new
Mubarak after his nearly 30-year reign resigned as president on Feb 11, 2011 as
a result of powerful popular unrest. On Aug 3 he was put on trial in Cairo.
The ex-president, delivered to the courtroom on a stretcher then, was charged
with involvement in premeditated murder and massacres of protesters during the
days of popular uprising in late January - early February, as well as with
contract killings in 2000 to 2010.
As the prosecution claims, Mubarak personally gave the order "to the use live
ammunition against peaceful demonstrators in several provinces of the country
in an attempt to preserve his regime." In addition, he and his sons are accused
of corruption, abuse of office and embezzlement of state funds.
Sudan: Censorship, Prosecutions And Extended Detention Signal Steady Decline in
Reporters Without Borders condemns the steady deterioration in media freedom in
Sudan where all the copies of an Arabic-language daily were seized 5 days ago
in Khartoum, a group of journalists have been harassed for weeks because of
their coverage of a serious human rights violation and others remain in
Already ranked last year among the world's 10 worst countries as regards
respect for journalists (172nd out of 178 countries in the Reporters Without
Borders press freedom index), Sudan keeps sinking lower and lower. The first
half of 2011 has been marked by censorship, arrests, prosecutions, arbitrary
detention and closures of newspapers.
"Is President Omar Al-Bashir trying to base his behaviour towards the media on
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's in Iran?" Reporters Without Borders asked. "The street
protests in February in the wake of the revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt, and
Sudan's partition, consummated when South Sudan became independent on 9 July,
seem to have convinced the authorities in Khartoum to clamp down much harder on
freedom of expression.
"News is controlled, the media are under surveillance and journalists are
harassed by the security forces. The international community must condemn this
disturbing trend with much more force and must press for a commitment from the
government to respect media freedom."
Increase in intimidation and censorship by the security forces
Without offering any explanation, the National Intelligence and Security
Services (NISS) confiscated all the copies of the next two issues of the
Arabic-language daily Al-Ahdath from the printers on 7 August. The newspaper
had been publishing a series of articles entitled "The days of Carlos in
Khartoum" about a Venezuelan terrorist known as "Carlos the Jackal" who was
captured in Sudan in 1994.
The newspapers Ajras Al-Hurriya and Al-Midan suffered the same kind of prior
censorship last April.
Khalid Ibrahim Ewaiss, a writer and political activist who works as a
journalist for Al-Arabiya, was detained on 8 July after participating in a
political protest. He was questioned and handed over to the police, who warned
him that the security forces had filed complaints against him. He was released
on bail and told he could not leave the country but has not so far been
As previously reported, 7 journalists and media contributors are due to be
tried or are still the subject of judicial investigations for reporting human
rights activist Safia Ishag's torture and rape by security personnel. They are
Faisal Mohamed Salih, Babikir Omer Al-Garrai, Abdalla Al-Shaik, Mohamed Latif,
Faiz Al-Selaik, Mohamed Osman and Dr. Nahid Al-Hassan.
2 women journalists, Amal Habani and Fatima Ghazali, were already given 1-month
jail sentences for the same reason. Both were released after 48 hours after
bail was paid. This campaign of harassment and prosecutions is aimed at
deterring journalists from reporting human rights violations by the security
Licences withdrawn from newspapers with South Sudan links
The National Press and Publication Council announced on 8 July, the eve of
South Sudan's independence, that it was withdrawing the licences of 6
newspapers owned partially by South Sudan citizens (even if they had only a
minority share). These newspapers are now closed for good. Article 28 of
Sudan's 2009 press law says only Sudanese citizens may own newspapers. People
of southern origin living in the north are effectively stripped of their
Ajras Al-Hurriya, an Arabic-language daily affiliated to the SPLM and five
English-language dailies - Khartoum Monitor, Juba Post, Sudan Tribune, Advocate
and Democrat - are affected by the measure. Most of them had links with South
Sudan or were critical of the government in Khartoum. Despite the facade of
legality, the decision is an act of direct censorship aimed at banning media
that criticized the authorities.
Journalists facing possibly death penalty
Arrested in May 2010 and tortured, Abuzar Ali Al-Amin, the deputy editor of the
now defunct opposition daily Rai Al-Shaab, was given a five-year jail sentence
in July 2010 that was later reduced to 1 year. He should have been released on
3 July but the security forces demanded a new judicial investigation of
articles he published in the paper, which was affiliated to the opposition
Popular Congress Party and supported (South Sudan's) Sudan People's Liberation
But the newspaper no longer has any legal existence as it was suspended on 16
May 2010 and its licence was rescinded on 8 July 2011, so the new proceedings
against Al-Amin are baseless, arbitrary and illegal, and are designed solely to
keep him in detention. He is facing the possibility of life imprisonment or
even the death penalty under article 50 of the criminal code for allegedly
trying to undermine the constitutional system. Reporters Without Borders is
outraged by his continuing detention and calls for his immediate release.
A short-wave radio station based in the Netherlands that is the only station
specializing in covering the situation in Darfur, Radio Dabanga has never been
legally recognized by the Sudanese authorities. Abdelrahman Adam, a journalist
who works for the station in Khartoum, and six other local employees have been
held since 30 October 2010 as a result of a complaint filed by a NISS official.
Gafar Alsabki Ibrahim, a journalist with the independent Arabic-language daily
Al-Sahafa, was arrested on 3 November 2010 for allegedly also working with
Radio Dabanga. All of the station's employees are accused of divulging state
secrets, undermining the constitutional system, calling for resistance and
inciting sedition under articles 24, 25, 26, 53 and 50 of the 1991 criminal
code and articles 18, 42 and 44 of the 2001 communications law. The article 50
violation carries the death penalty.
(source: All Africa News)
Vaiko urges Jaya: Try to cancel death sentences in Rajiv case
Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam leader Vaiko on Saturday requested Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to take efforts for cancelling the death
sentence awarded to 3 convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
President Prathibha Patil had rejected the clemency petitions of Murugan,
Santhan and Perarivalan, recently.
They were 3 of the 4 persons awarded death penalty with the sentence of another
convict Nalini, being commuted to life.
Vaiko, who recently took up the case of Perarivalan with Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and Home Minister P Chidambaram, said there were provisions
allowing the Centre to still cancel the death sentence of the three "and there
"Even after the President rejected the clemency petitions, the Centre can still
cancel the death sentence. It has the right to do that and there are
"As a humane gesture, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister (Jayalalithaa) should take all
steps to cancel the death sentence for these 3 young Tamils," he said.
Vaiko said in the last 17 years, none had been hanged in Tamil Nadu and that
the last person to be executed in the country was in 2004.
Meanwhile, VCK founder and Lok Sabha MP, Thol.Thirumalavan said that he would
take up the issue in Parliament next week.
(source: Press Trust of India)
Gallows being spruced up for executions
Preparations are quietly on to oil the creaky rusting gallows and identify a
hangman. With the President rejecting the mercy pleas of the Rajiv Gandhi
assassins, Murugan, Chinna Santhan and Perarivalan, the Tamil Nadu police is
gearing up for the execution of the three men, presently lodged in the Vellore
The last hanging in the state took place nearly 17 years ago, on April 27,
1995, when `auto` Shankar, the notorious serial killer, was executed in the
Salem Central Prison. The last hanging in the country took place in 2004 with
the hanging of Dhananjoy Chatterjee on August 14 at the Alipore Central prison
in Kolkata. Dhananjoy was hanged after he was convicted for rape and murder of
a 14-year-old on March 5,1990 at Bhowanipur in West Bengal.
ADGP prisons, S K Dogra told TOI that no special ground work was needed for
carrying out the executions of the three men, whose death sentence was
confirmed by the Supreme Court in 1999. Dogra said he was yet to receive the
official communication from the Union home ministry.
"I had an informal chat with the deputy inspector general (prisons) who
oversees the preparations for such executions. I believe not much groundwork is
needed," he said, indicating that things were more or less ready.
According to a Vellore prison official, seven working days are required to
carry out the execution after the receipt of the order. "After we receive the
order, the prison superintendent will fix the date for execution of the
convicts and convey it to the government," the official said.
A senior grade warden of the prison will carry out the execution and the
department does not hire personnel especially for the post of hangman. "We will
ascertain the health condition of the convicts well before the date of
execution and then inform the relatives of the convicts. The prison officials
will communicate to the relatives if the convicts request to meet them," said
the prison official.
Interestingly, the Vellore prison also has three convicts sentenced to death in
the Dharmapuri bus burning case. The Supreme Court on January 2011 stayed the
execution of the death penalty against C Muniappan, Nedu Nedunchezhian and
Madhu Ravindran accused of setting fire to a bus killing three Tamil Nadu
Agricultural University girl students travelling in it in the year 2000. Though
the apex court upheld the death sentence, it stayed the execution after a writ
petition filed by the 3 pleaded for stay of the sentence on the ground that a
petition seeking review of the August 30, 2010 judgment was still pending
disposal. The students were burnt alive in Dharmapuri after AIADMK sympathizers
went on the rampage after a special court convicted party chief Jayalalithaa in
the Kodaikanal Pleasant Stay hotel case.
(source: The Timse of India)
Official: Military court convicts 7 in Pakistan army headquarters raid; 1 gets
A Pakistani official says a military court has found 7 men guilty of
involvement in an attack on army headquarters and sentenced 1 of them, a
retired soldier, to death.
The October 2009 siege in Rawalpindi lasted 22 hours, left 9 militants and 14
others dead, and deeply embarrassed Pakistan’s security establishment.
One former soldier — identified only as “Aqeel” alias “Dr. Usman” — was handed
the death penalty. He is believed to have led the attack.
A military official said Saturday 4 other defendants — another ex-soldier and 3
civilians — received life imprisonment. 2 civilians were handed 7-year prison
The official requested anonymity because of the issue’s sensitivity. He didn’t
say when the verdicts were rendered.
(source: Associated Press)
More information about the DeathPenalty