[Deathpenalty]death penalty news --- USA
j_sommer at gmx.net
Mon Jul 19 22:38:51 CDT 2004
death penalty news
July 19, 2004
Some major Supreme Court cases on capital punishment:
* In 1972, in a case called Furman v. Georgia, the Supreme Court declared
capital punishment unconstitutional.
* In 1976, in Gregg v. Georgia, the court reinstated the death penalty.
* In 1986, in Ford v. Wainwright, the court held it unconstitutional to
execute the insane.
* In 1988, in Thompson v. Oklahoma, the court outlawed execution for those
younger than 16.
* In 1989, in Sanford v. Kentucky, the court specifically allowed execution
for 16- and 17-year-olds convicted of murder.
* Also in 1989, in Penry v. Luynaugh, the court allowed execution of
mentally retarded defendants in some cases.
* In 2002, the court reversed itself and outlawed execution of the mentally
* Also in 2002, the court said only juries, not judges alone, may make
crucial determinations about which cases qualify for a death sentence.
(source. AP / Kansas City Star)
More information about the DeathPenalty